Amana Washer - Repair or Replace?

I have a 8 year old Amana washer which is having 2 problems. I'm trying to figure out if these may be issues I can fix myself or if I need to have someone repair it. In either case I'm also trying to figure out how much it may cost as I may get a new washer instead.

The first problem is that after the washer agitates, it doesn't go into the spin cycle. Instead, nothing happens until it gets to the rinse cycle. During the rinse cycle, no additional water is placed in the tub as it is already full of water. The rest of the rinse cycle works normally including the final spin.

The second problem is that a little bit of water leaks into the tub between washes (about 1" in 2-3 days).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Leo snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Leo Shea

Hi,

You need a new timer and a new solinoid valve. The solinoid valve might just need cleaned but I would replace it. About $150 for a timer and $30 for a solinoid valve. If you do it yourslef it might be worth saving but if you pay for repair forget it. You can get a new washer for about $450 now.

candice

Reply to
CLSSM00X7

Leo Shea wrote

Nothing at all? No sounds, nothing?

If nothing happens at all, it could be a problem with the washer's lid switch or actuator (sometimes attached to the lid).

If it ever spins I wouldn't think it is a lid switch problem as that should affect all spin cycles. If it only won't spin during certain settings, it could be caused by a timer failure.

That sounds like the water fill valve is sticking slightly open. While the valve may be able to be taken apart and cleaned, replacing it may be necessary (and easiest). That is usually a inexpensive repair.

You can read more about the water valves used on appliances at the following link:

Appliance Water Fill Valve Information:

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

Leo wrote

For a clothes washer of 8 years use, I would replace it if the total estimated repair cost exceeds $200. You'll be lucky to have someone take it away for free.

Reply to
Phisherman