Kitchenaid washer whining in spin cycle

My Kitchenaid Washer KAWE570BWHI started making a loud whining sound when it engages in the spin cycle. I turned the timer through the cycles and it does not whine duing the agitate or drain cycles, only during spin. It doesn't make any grinding or thumping sounds either. The washer isn't misbalanced as it made the sound when the basket was empty.

Would the problem be in the clutch assembly or could the transmission be shot? Is a transmission easy to replace? I know its not cheap but I figure I can save a few bucks on a DIY. I've replaced the motor couplings on this washer, so I'm familiar with its underside.

Reply to
Michael Martens