GE Washer spin cycle noise

Clanking sound for about two seconds during the start of spin cycle - noise stops when basket is "up to speed". Noise sounds like someone running a tire iron across a "metal picket fence". Could the centrifugal clutch be defective? Model WWA8340GAL. THANKS for any insight.

Reply to
jimleong

Bearing going bad.....

Reply to
Red Neckerson

Hi,

GE older style metal basket washer.

Since we cannot hear the noise over a forum we will be kinda guessing....

- brake inside the transmission not releasing properly would be first on my list.

Sure, but it usually makes a shreek/grinding noises that normally doesn't go away when it is worn.

Probably need to pull the washer out, remove the back panal and with a flashlight watch a load go through to see if you can get an idea where the noise is comming from.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff