Ceiling Sprinkler System Cover Plates repair/replace

Hi,

Recently I was painting the ceiling of my new house and ran into a mystery white circle on the ceiling of my room. I pulled the thing off to be able to paint the ceiling easier and discovered it was a sprinkler system cover (surprise surprise).

Now I am in the unfortunate position (having done some research) that the cover was apparently attached through some sort of solder/glue, and I cannot figure out how to reattach it.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do in this situation? Can I reattach it somehow? Do I need to have someone come out to replace more than just the cover?

I wish the thing had been labelled in the first place:)

Thanks Steven

Reply to
Steven

Usually the cover plate assembly screws on. If you broke the bond between the cover and the assembly that screws into the sprinkler head then try removing the assembly by turning it counterclockwise. Don't be a dolt and cause the sprinkler to go off.

Travis Jordan

Travis Jordan

Steven,

Easy fix - don't lose a moments sleep over this one. You have to take out the threaded sleeve that the cover plate was attached to as Travis says. Buy a new cover plate (preferably from the same manufacturer as the original because they do have different thread pitches) and screw it in.

Don't try to re-solder the cover plate because it is a special low melting point alloy that is designed to fall off when heated. Incinently you did the right thing removing the plate before painting the ceiling. They don't work properly if you paint them.

Reply to
ben.aust

replying to Steven, Bill wrote: Steven. I just had a painter tape the covers while painting and when he pulled the tape off, the sprinkler head cover that was soldered on came off and the sprinkler head popped out! How did you repair yours?

Reply to
Bill