Newbie problem with water supply pipe

The distance from the supply company's water meter at the boundary of my property to my house is 45m. On the recommendation of the water supply company, I plan to run a new 32mm o.d. MDPE potable water pipe from the meter to the house, to replace an old steel service pipe that has corroded.

The supply company tells me that the meter will have a short piece of blue

25mm MDPE on its outflow, so I guess that I need a 32-to-25mm reducer to couple my pipe to the meter. Which is most reliable: push fitting or compression fitting?

At the house end of the supply pipe, I need to purchase and fit a new stop valve. Should this stop valve be 32mm PE or 32mm copper? Can anybody kindly recommend a manufacturer and their part number?

The pipe will enter the house in a duct and will need to be lagged within this duct. Can anyone recommend a type of thermal insulation that is suitable for 32mm MDPE?

About half way along the length of the 32mm MDPE pipe, I plan to tee off a

25mm MDPE pipe to a garden tap. The water company tells me that I need to fit a stop valve and double check valve on this tee. Should these valves be PE or copper? Can anyone recommend a reputable manufacturer of double check valves?

Thanks, John

Reply to
John Aston

The standard underground MDPE water pipe fittings available from most plumbers merchants make use of a grab ring and an O ring, a little bit like pushfit connectors, but the grab ring is compressed and held in place by a bit which you screw on, like a compression fitting. These things are great - I've used many, many of them and never had a single one fail.

I used a plastic stop valve, same make + connections as the connectors described above.

Again, most plumbers merchants keep foam insulation sleeve which is suitable for this.

Up to you. If anywhere where temperature might drop below freezing, then MDPE.

Again, I got mine from a plumbers merchant! There's a whole range of underground valves/fittings normally stocked by such merchants.

Reply to
Grunff