Marquetry

I recall back in the late 1950s that my father made several items they were decorated with marquetry.

He wasn't particulary artistic and I suppose some "kits" were involved..

Was it a fad or fasion at the time? Were kits widely offered?

Reply to
JohnP

I had a kit for a picture in the 70's, don't think I ever finished it ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes and yes and some are still available.

The Natural Philosopher

My granddad was expert at marquetry and parquetry; I think it had mostly died out post-war.

Reply to
Sn!pe

such things were widely offered as things to keep children happy for a few hours

and then they invented computer games

Reply to
tim...

Yes I remember them even being in Woolies, lots of slivers of funny coloured woody stuff in a frame you put together if that is what you mean. Always seemed to me to be a bit like making your own jigsaw and what is the end result supposed to be used for? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Common presents at least as late as the beginning of the 1970's. These days I expect they are not considered suitable for childrens toys.

Still available from Fred Aldous or similar craft shops. eg

Better range here

Martin Brown

Apparently during the lock down the latest fad is to make pictures using corks from bottles of wine glued to a bit of backing wood. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Yes well I remember a card table where the whole of the top was done like this in a repeating pattern, but as I say, a lot of work and why? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

So, a thinly disguised drinking game?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Gamages department store had the "Hobbies" brand treadle fret-saw which was used to cut the marquetry veneers to shape.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell
[marquetry and parquetry]

It is art. Have you no interest in the visual arts?

Reply to
Sn!pe

Ten years ago a friends of mine made a bathroom floor from old wine corks cut into 1/4" slices, sanded on the upper side, glued down, grouted, and covered with many coats of polyurethane varnish. There were over 11,500 slices. The skirting boards were made of corks cut lengthways. From the photos he sent it looked spectacular.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

I had the Crown Kit bought for me one birthday - I soon became bored with it.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

My father in law used to make them his way of relaxing I still have many of them he used to give them away as Christmas presents dont know what a kit would be he used to just buy the vernier

-
Reply to
Mark

You are aware of Brian and his <ahem> difference.

Mind you saying Brian has no interest in VISUAL affairs is (to some, I am sure) quite amusing.

Reply to
soup

I used a modelling knife

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I know of a deaf, dumb and blind kid.

He doesn't rubbish other people's appreciation of that which he himself can no longer enjoy.

Reply to
Sn!pe

And are you aware of the meaning of the word "remember" ?

IIRR Brian's condition has been subject to gradual deterioration over a number of years.

In answer to the question why ? In the past, better off people signalled their status by owning objects which had clearly taken many man hours of skilled labour to produce.

.Same as most couture dresses and savile row suits today which are still all hand sewn, often taking many hours to produce despite this being totally unnecessary in many cases

michael adams

michael adams

[...] The purpose of my response to the original question was to share that my grandfather was expert in both disciplines. IMO that sharing was rudely dismissed by:

"Yes well I remember a card table where the whole of the top was done like this in a repeating pattern, but as I say, a lot of work and why? -- Brian"

Whatever, that sort of dismissive response is par for the course. You may deduce from this that Brian and I do not get on.

I've done with this now, if everybody else has?

Reply to
Sn!pe