Speaking of aerials, what's this....

A vertical aerial for whatever frequency it was designed for.

Reply to
RobH

Likely VHF comms ? 2M amateur radio?

Avpx

Reply to
The Nomad

Dunno, but it looks like it would make a pretty good lightning conductor.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

a FM quarter wave end fed metal rod? Would be about 765 mm long....

looks like crap coax anyway ....

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart ...

It looks reminiscent of CB aerials.

Reply to
Fredxx

Jimmy Stewart ... wrote on 29/01/2021 :

The coax looks to be decent stuff, but very poorly installed. The antenna seems not to have a ground plane.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

? That aerial extends vertically perhaps 4 or 5 metres above the chimney. I would be surprised if it isn't one of the highest points in the street.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Local taxi?

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

The thing at the top could be a glass fibre colinear* for anything VHF or UHF, including RSL VHF FM radio. Or it could be an old Aerialite AM aerial (they had a coax feeder). Or anything really!

The mast and chimney brackets are very old. The corner plates have almost rusted away. It looks as if an old mast and bracket pair has been re-purposed, and lowered.

The two contract-quality UHF TV aerials are of different historic channel groups; a Gp A and a Gp CD. The two TV aerial on the opposite corner are the same, except that the top one has been replaced because the boom on the top one snapped due to the U bolt hole being oversized.

If this is a shared chimney, the other corner belonging to the same house as the tall aerial has what looks like a vertical dipole for something or other, could be VHF FM but it looks a bit too long. There's another aerial of some sort on the same fixing. These are much newer than the tall mast (look at the corner plate nearest the camera).

*colinear: several dipoles in a stack, inside a shroud of some sort. Gives a bit more gain than a single halfwave dipole.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

The top one doesn't need one.

Reply to
Fred

looks like tv 75ohn coax to me

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart

Looks much thicker to me..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

oh right

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart

why do you want to know ..... ?

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart

Cos my wifi doesn't work properly! Or my wireless keyboard and mouse.

I'm clutching at straws for possible causes.

Reply to
R D S

That's *way* bigger than a 2.4 or 5 GHz aerial.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yup, if you zoom into the photo, it's more than double the diameter of the adjacent TV aerial coax attached to that bottom Yagi...

Reply to
John Rumm

CB radio i'd say - ten four blah blah

Reply to