Bathroom ceiling

Hi I removed the drywalls in the bathroom in my basement and also the drywall in the roof of that bathroom. I do not want drywalls. Now I see in the roof
a wood (please see attached pictures / links). What is this used for? Can I remove it. I want the bathroom "unfinished" and I do not mind to see all the concrete and structural woods as I am planning to paint them and keep i t that way. I appreciate any help in advance. Thank you so much.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gJJR_b6Pal-v9nZ2VVfMO7uPl39axqkl/view?usp =sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IzrCARKoG0Rjcn12ktorcHWx7Bm26-R3/view?usp =sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1n8M0RfkGcPVavuvp3Mze04O1kmHPejL2/view?usp =sharing
On 7/25/2020 10:17 AM, leza wang wrote:

Years ago my builder had tiled shower over drywall which deteriorated with time and shower was rebuilt with tile over cement board which should be used in bath and shower. That was over 40 years ago and shower is still in great shape.
On Saturday, July 25, 2020 at 10:39:07 AM UTC-4, Frank wrote:

all in the roof of that bathroom. I do not want drywalls. Now I see in the roof a wood (please see attached pictures / links). What is this used for? Can I remove it. I want the bathroom "unfinished" and I do not mind to see all the concrete and structural woods as I am planning to paint them and ke ep it that way. I appreciate any help in advance. Thank you so much.

usp=sharing

usp=sharing

usp=sharing

Sorry what do you recommend?
On 7/25/2020 10:51 AM, leza wang wrote:

Either cement board and tile or a complete plastic unit.
On 7/25/2020 10:17 AM, leza wang wrote:

Can't say as I have no idea what it is doing.
Keep i mind, there is a reason bathrooms are constructed the way they are. Leaving things open can lead to moisture infiltration and rot of structural pieces, as well as mold that is unhealthy.
On Saturday, July 25, 2020 at 10:55:37 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

all in the roof of that bathroom. I do not want drywalls. Now I see in the roof a wood (please see attached pictures / links). What is this used for? Can I remove it. I want the bathroom "unfinished" and I do not mind to see all the concrete and structural woods as I am planning to paint them and ke ep it that way. I appreciate any help in advance. Thank you so much.

usp=sharing

usp=sharing

usp=sharing

Thank you for your reply. I see your very good points but finishing the bat hroom did not help to keep the structural pieces safe. I see rotten woods and rusty metals. I thought I would open everything, paint it with oil-base d and that would keep the safe from water and the place would dry out faste r. Thank you again
On Saturday, July 25, 2020 at 10:17:39 AM UTC-4, leza wang wrote:

l in the roof of that bathroom. I do not want drywalls. Now I see in the ro of a wood (please see attached pictures / links). What is this used for? Ca n I remove it. I want the bathroom "unfinished" and I do not mind to see al l the concrete and structural woods as I am planning to paint them and keep it that way. I appreciate any help in advance. Thank you so much.

p=sharing

p=sharing

p=sharing
No idea what kind of construction that even is. It looks like plywood that 's showing, what's above that? Seems odd that they would put up plywood and then sheetrock over it. Also I see electrical cable that you're going to have to deal with and what's the electrical contraption on the wall? Regarding leaving it unfinished, you might want to check code as to what's allowed for bathrooms and showers, especially if you intend to sell the place some day.
On Saturday, July 25, 2020 at 11:03:29 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:

all in the roof of that bathroom. I do not want drywalls. Now I see in the roof a wood (please see attached pictures / links). What is this used for? Can I remove it. I want the bathroom "unfinished" and I do not mind to see all the concrete and structural woods as I am planning to paint them and ke ep it that way. I appreciate any help in advance. Thank you so much.

usp=sharing

usp=sharing

usp=sharing

at's

Thank you for your reply. The bathroom is under the front porch. I am not w orry about the code. The house is very small old and I do not think it has any value as a house only the land. The new owner would build a new one
On Saturday, July 25, 2020 at 11:11:41 AM UTC-4, leza wang wrote:

ywall in the roof of that bathroom. I do not want drywalls. Now I see in th e roof a wood (please see attached pictures / links). What is this used for ? Can I remove it. I want the bathroom "unfinished" and I do not mind to se e all the concrete and structural woods as I am planning to paint them and keep it that way. I appreciate any help in advance. Thank you so much.

w?usp=sharing

w?usp=sharing

w?usp=sharing

that's

and

t's

worry about the code. The house is very small old and I do not think it ha s any value as a house only the land. The new owner would build a new one
How about ceiling tiles over what's there? That plywood looks like it's OK , you could put tiles over it. I don't see the point in taking it down, unless you're sure what you expose is going to look better as is.
On 7/25/2020 9:17 AM, leza wang wrote:

Others already brought most other points...the big problem besides dealing with the electrical is the ceiling height is so low is/was probably the biggest contributor to the moisture problems...altho since you later mentioned the space is under a porch there's a real possibility you've got some water infiltration from outside that's part of the culprit, too.
Installing an exhaust fan to exterior would be the preferred solution that would help immeasurably I believe.
One _PRESUMES(!!!)_ the ply is simply fastened to the underside of the porch floor joists and is there simply as the backing for the ceiling formerly there.
Any idea if there's any insulation there or not?
Was that wall insulated or is the wall underground to prevent possible freezing of pipes? Either way, it'll definitely be a heat sink during winter if this is located anywhere other than warm-year-round country. I'd suggest an inch of foam insulation would be good and just deal with it if there's a piping issue have to eventually deal with later.
Oh so many things to comment on, but I'll stop there...

On Saturday, July 25, 2020 at 1:40:17 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:

all in the roof of that bathroom. I do not want drywalls. Now I see in the roof a wood (please see attached pictures / links). What is this used for? Can I remove it. I want the bathroom "unfinished" and I do not mind to see all the concrete and structural woods as I am planning to paint them and ke ep it that way. I appreciate any help in advance. Thank you so much.

usp=sharing

usp=sharing

usp=sharing

That's a good point, now that we know that it's under a porch, which presumably isn't heated. With no insulation if it's a cold climate condensation from the bathroom shower will be a problem. And it will be wasted heat going out too. Sounds like that should be investigated and if there is no insulation, then that's reason to remove the plywood that's there and put insulation in. Could possibly do a drop ceiling after that. Me, I'd just do drywall, but for whatever reason she doesn't want that. It's odd that someone put plywood up first, then drywall. Usually when you see stuff that doesn't make sense, there is more that was done that's wrong too. I wonder what condition this was all in before starting the renovation?

On 7/25/2020 1:35 PM, trader_4 wrote:

None of this will be anything at all approximating "normal" building to Code; that's pretty apparent in that they put a bath under the porch in a basement that's barely 7-ft, if that.
If you look at the picture showing the shower head, there's only a couple inches above it to the ceiling; no way to put in any dropped ceiling.
Undoubtedly the ply was put in to separate off the outside porch solidly; there's no telling whether there's a solid rim joist on it or not, even, for sure. One would hope there is, but when the owner says the house is of so little value the property when and if sold would be for land value only; the house would be undoubtedly be razed, who could even begin to guess just what it consists of?
Concrete board would be ok, but in this location drywall is just not going to cut it for long, even if do manage to ventilate it some and stop condensation besides the inside humidity. Those would help prolong the inevetable, but it's still agonna' happen in such a confined area.

On Saturday, July 25, 2020 at 3:30:45 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:

Maybe the previous owners were very tall and the shower head is at 8 ft? :)
You're right, I missed that. Best things I see left are:
If the porch above is unheated and cold and there is no insulation above that plywood, remove the plywood, insulate, then put up new plywood or whatever it takes to be able to install ceiling tiles.
Or if there is insulation, then put up tiles over the existing plywood.
Plus the other issues, eg if the wall isn't sufficiently below grade or otherwise protected from freezing, the pipes need to be moved in with some insulation put in, etc.

I agree, I'd use regular ceiling tiles.

If it's insulated and there is an exhaust fan, preferably on a humidistat, I think it could work, but it sure won't be code either.
On 7/25/2020 2:57 PM, trader_4 wrote:

Well, since this has been there for _alongtime_(TM) in this condition and they haven't frozen yet, it seems pretty clear that isn't a real problem or would have happened before. It would still not hurt just from an energy loss perspective and an inch of foam on the walls would also cut down humidity source from other than the shower itself in the basement.
One would guess all of these are probably beyond what an intended budget would cover--or worth given the apparent value of the house unless it is the permanent residence and intended to/will be for some time yet.

Code left the building before this was started, even...I'd like to be able to see that electrical box with enough resolution to be able to see just what that is that's in it...
On Saturday, July 25, 2020 at 4:11:48 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:

It looks like it's probably not even in use. The cables run near it, not in it. I do see something that looks like big conduit at the top left? Maybe a transformer in the bottom left? Hard to tell from the pics, maybe Leza knows.
On Sat, 25 Jul 2020 07:17:35 -0700 (PDT), leza wang posted for all of us to digest...

These do not open for me, get a caption they are in owners trash...
--
Tekkie

On 7/29/2020 5:02 PM, Tekkie� wrote:

Opened earlier but not now.