What's with this waste pipework?

I was walking past a house of multiple occupancy the other day, there's a 45 degree coming off the vertical part of the soil pipe opening into what looks like a hopper with a mesh in it.

What are they trying to catch? Brown trout?

What's going on there? (I am a nosy bastard, yes.)

Reply to
R D S

That is an utter bodge done by a clueless numpty, as also demonstrated by the inadequate fall of the two lateral pipes above it.

the Grey Y-connector is upside down !.

Send these photos to your local BCO. Give him something to do.

Reply to
Andrew

Original pipe blocked so divert sewage to an alternative drain?

Reply to
alan_m

With a filter to catch the jobbies?

It really is very bizarre.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

A filter than looks a bit like the top of a swing-top kitchen bin hacked-off and munged into place.

This is a foul drain, so needs to be completely sealed apart from the vent pipe 300mm? above an opening window. Maybe this is home-brew AAV because there is no vent pipe ? Without seeing the whole stack it is difficult to say.

I am also wondering if the two pipes going into the pavement are foul drain and surface water respectively. If so whoever did this needs a bit of education.

Reply to
Andrew

Looking from farther back it appears that it's just the gutters and drainpipes feeding into it.

Reply to
R D S

A down-pipe splitting into two like that still doesn?t make any sense though?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I wonder, because that's all i've got, is that there might be something in the Y piece sending leaves and such into the hopper on the right?

Reply to
R D S