What is this double ratchet too for

A friend was having a clear out and came across this unusual ratchet. The drive does not transfer along the bar. Video of the tool on my google drive

Are the two parts unrelated, just from the same era?

any ideas

Reply to
misterroy

Andy Burns

It looks as though it ought to be a right angled ratchet drive, for use in tight spaces. Are you sure it isn't broken and that the drive should, in fact, transfer?

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Worked fine for me. Perhaps you need faster broadband :-)

Reply to
Colin Bignell

I don't understand what you mean by "The drive does not transfer along the bar". I assume both ratchets are reversible. I think it's made that way to fold up small as per your opening shot.

Reply to
Dave W

What I'd think too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

If I rotate the part in my right hand clockwise (or anticlockwise) the turning motion is not transferred to the part in my left hand. That is what I mean by "The drive does not transfer along the bar. "

I had thought about tight spaces, but a normal ratchet would fit in a smaller space.

Against my suggestion that it is two unrelated objects is the hexagonal end of the bar that the spanner like bit fits on. Directions are reverasable.

Reply to
misterroy

Not if it's space where you can get a socket in but then don't have space to turn the handle about the axis nut/bolt. I think now possibly overtaken by ratchets where you turn the handle - eg

Robin