What thermostat for this Rheem?

We've acquired a piece of property with a Rheem Model REAB-1415J heating and cooling unit. The Honeywell mercury switch thermostat was damaged during the move-in. What's a good programmable replacement? Thanks.

Reply to
Grandpa Koca

This is Turtle.

You need to give more info in it like all model numbers and the type system it is. All Electric, Heat pump, gas heat and heat pump, or just straight electric heat with just cooling added.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

We don't have a manual for it, so here's what we know: This is an all electric house, no gas. Its an electric central heating furnace (Model REAB-1415J, Ser T M 0686

7431) with an optional field installed cooling coil (which one is not marked on the matrix sticker on the side, probably an RCAB-A31 or -A37; and I really don't want to go inside unless its necessary) with an outside condenser unit Model RABC-036JAS [I think, its pretty well sun faded]. The original thermostat is (was until the dresser split it in half) a Honeywell (numbers inside are: 9705 T834C1137) with four wires (white, yellow, green, red) heating and cooling mercury switch (at least we didn't break the ampoule).

Everything was working fine prior to the, um, "incident." Appreciate your help, Turtle.

Reply to
Grandpa Koca

It sounds like you have single stage heat and cooling and I'll assume a 24 volt control system. Double check that before proceeding. Before you do anything, be sure that the mercury thermostat is disposed properly (*not* put in the trash!) due to the environmental hazards. Many towns offer programs or there a number of places that can safely process the mercury and it should not cost you anything. Honeywell itself may have pointers on how to take care of this, or contact your local waste agency or company.

To answer your question, there are a number of thermostats that will do, and while you're at it, I suggest a digital programmable model. The Honeywell CT3600 is a fine and reasonably priced thermostat that allows you to have a program for every day of the week and even keeps track of usage. Your electric company might give you a rebate if you install an EnergyStar t'stat (such as CT3600) as well, ask them or check their website for details. I would stay away from the cheaper thermostat brands, they are more trouble in the long run.

Reply to
John