What outdoor switch

I can't see my post from yesterday about 2 way outdoor switch in my garage, so I'll just ask this.

What type of switch do I need for a light in my garage. Not being and electrician, I am confused by the so many different types to know what I should have.

Reply to
RobH

if it's for switching at either of 2 locations, a 2 way switch - which most lightswitches are anyway.

That does not mean 2 gang, which is a separate question. If you have more than 1 light, a 2 or more gang switch is a very cheap way to cut your energy use/cost by enabling 3 brightness settings (bulb A, bulb B, both).

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Can you describe what you presently have in the garage in terms of light(s), switch(es), consumer unit?

Then what you're looking to alter/replace?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I only have 1 light, and just want to mount a switch by the garage door.If I got a 2 gang switch, how do I wire it up.

I presently have a 2way switch which doesn't work because I probably wired it up wrong. There is a 1 way and a 2 way socket for the wires and a com. I wired it up with the lives in the 1 way and the neutrals into the com.

Reply to
RobH

then what you're looking to do is not 2 way switching, which means switching from either of 2 different places, as used on stairs.

a 2 gang switch is not much use on a single light. The point of them is to enable lights to be switched separately. There is a way to use them on one light, but that's more complexity you don't need today.

Ouch. Live goes to com, 1 or 2 goes to the light's switched live wire. The neutral doesn't go into the switch at all, it is just fed to the light's neutral connection.

How many cables come into the switchbox? If only one, then normally the neutral conductor on the cable is repurposed as a switched live. If more than 1 cable then it's going to be as you describe, no repurposing of conductors. A photo wouldn't hurt.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Your original post is still there have you gone down far enough? Several replies have asked you for specific information in order to give you the correct answer. It is important that you provide the information, as a self confessed amateur when it comes to electrics it vital from the safety point of view you are correctly guided a mistake could be fatal.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

This may not be helpful, but it may save a life: some things need a basic level of expertise to do safely and it sounds as if you need to either pay someone or find a knowledgeable and trustworthy pal.

Reply to
nothanks

Yes I realise it will be still there, but the news group I use is NETNews from either Germany or somewhere in the Netherlands. I can't remember just now. From this group there are quite a few post missing from yesterday, That is why I can't see it.

Reply to
RobH

We have only just got electric in the garage, a few days back actually, and I have put up a 4ft batten led light,. Then I have a cable from the light going to the switch, and then another cable from a plug to the switch. There is just a double socket on the garage wall, no consumer unit or any other lights.

Reply to
RobH

OK, that's somewhat unconventional, if the plug has a 13A fuse replace with a 3A fuse.

From the cable plugged into the socket, connect the live to the COM terminal of the switch, connect the neutral to a separate connector (e.g. piece of choc-block or wago), connect the earth to the earth terminal in the backbox of the switch

From the cable to the light, connect the live to the L1 terminal of the switch, connect the neutral to that same chock-block/wago connector, connect the earth to the same terminal as the other earth

Are you using flex rather than twin and earth cable?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Did you say you bought a switch from B&Q?

I can't see a 20AX that they sell, was it one of these

if so the neon will probably already give you a separate terminal you can use to connect both neutrals to, without a wago etc, can you post a link to a photo of the internals of the switch?

Reply to
Andy Burns

+1
Reply to
DerbyBorn

Which would mean explosion if true.

Reply to
FMurtz

Yes I bought the switch from B&Q, and it was one of these:

RobH

The LED on the front of the switch has 2 thin black wires from it, 1 to com, and the other to 2 way. Does that make a difference to how the wiring should be.

Reply to
RobH

A photo of the internals of the switch would be helpful ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes I realise that, but I have nowhere I can upload it, as I don't have a website now.

Reply to
RobH

google photos, imgbb, imgur, photobucket ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Rob - Please get someone to do it for you. Even wiring into a waterproof swithch needs a bit of experience.

Reply to
DerbyBorn