Marquetry

My post was in response to

a) soup's comment on Brians condition

b) Brian's question as to why anyone would bother. On reflection my answer didn't answer that question at all - but rather how marquetry ever caught on as a hobby in the first place. As obviously marquetry would have already needed to have existed - initially created by skilled craftsmen for rich patrons - for it subsequently to have become a hobby for people with increasing lesure time. As to why anyone should take it up as a hobby the answer seems pretty obvious, to me at least. There is something to show for all the hours spent on it at the end; unlike with a lot of other hobbies.

c) I'm sorry. What was your question again ?

michael adams

michael adams

To my amazement, I discovered last year that Hobbies is still around; I bought a micro-mill off them and some other stuff.

They still do the marquetry kits:

Bob Eager

well three anyway.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There are and were a lot of craft things around, probably still are on the shopping channels. One I remember was creating pictures on a kind of aluminium sheet by some form of grain effect that reflected light differently as you got the reflections at different angles. Some were even coloured. I'm sure a lot of these things used etching and small machining tools to create them back in the day. I was always so cack handed with things that were supposed to look like art. I could make model flying planes and model boats to my own design, but anything that was supposed to look like a scale model usually went very wonky. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Gamages, there is a name I have not heard for a very long time. Reminds me of Meccano Magazine and Airfix magazine etc. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I don't think I even started mine. I hated all that "make and do" stuff.

Reply to
Max Demian

Still exists as Airfix model world

Available on either Kindle or as hard copy.

I remember Meccano magazine when I was at Primary (late 60s~early 70s) used to look at them all the time as there was a pile of them in the library I can sort of remember being enthralled at some of the models (self designs) trams, steam engines, buses etc

YouTube video of James May crossing a Meccano bridge

soup

Brian Gaff (Sofa) explained on 30/01/2021 :

Harry Bloomfield, Esq.