RECALL: General Electric Dishwashers (NOT MADE IN CHINA!)

NEWS from CPSC U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission Office of Information and Public Affairs Washington, DC 20207

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE May 16, 2007 Release #07-190

Firm's Recall Hotline: (877) 607-6395 CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772 CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908 General Electric Media Contact: Kim Freeman, (502) 452-7819

General Electric Recalls Dishwashers Due to Fire Hazard

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Name of product: GE Dishwashers

Units: About 2.5 million

Manufacturer: GE Consumer & Industrial, of Louisville, Ky.

Hazard: Liquid rinse-aid can leak from its dispenser onto the dishwasher's internal wiring which can cause an electrical short and overheating, posing a fire hazard to consumers.

Incidents/Injuries: GE has received 191 reports of overheated wiring including 56 reports of property damage. There were 12 reports of fires that escaped the dishwasher. Fire damage was limited to the dishwasher or the adjacent area. No injuries have been reported.

Description: The recall includes GE built-in dishwashers sold under the following brand names: Eterna, GE, GE Profile(tm), GE Monogram(r), Hotpoint(r), and Sears-Kenmore. The dishwashers were sold in white, black, almond, bisque and stainless steel. The brand name is printed on the dishwasher's front control panel. Model and serial numbers can be found inside the dishwasher tub on the front left side of the dishwasher. A table of relevant model and serial numbers can be found on CPSC's web site.

Sold at: Department and appliance stores from September 1997 through December 2001 for about $400.

Manufactured in: United States

Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled dishwashers and contact General Electric for a free repair, a $150 rebate towards the purchase of a new GE dishwasher, or a $300 rebate towards the purchase of a new GE Profile or GE Monogram dishwasher.

Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact General Electric toll-free at (877) 607-6395 from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET Monday through Saturday. Consumers also can visit the firm's Web site at

To see this recall on CPSC's web site, including pictures of the recalled product and a table of brands, models, and serial numbers affected by this recall, please go to:

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is charged with protecting the public from unreasonable risks of serious injury or death from more than 15,000 types of consumer products under the agency's jurisdiction. Deaths, injuries and property damage from consumer product incidents cost the nation more than $700 billion annually. The CPSC is committed to protecting consumers and families from products that pose a fire, electrical, chemical, or mechanical hazard or can injure children. The CPSC's work to ensure the safety of consumer products - such as toys, cribs, power tools, cigarette lighters, and household chemicals - contributed significantly to the 30 percent decline in the rate of deaths and injuries associated with consumer products over the past 30 years.

To report a dangerous product or a product-related injury, call CPSC's hotline at (800) 638-2772 or CPSC's teletypewriter at (800) 638-8270, or visit CPSC's web site at

To join a CPSC email subscription list, please go to
Consumers can obtain this release and recall information at CPSC's Web site at

Greg

I remember in the 80's GE made the best dishwashers. They have been asleep ever since.

Reply to
Art
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

GE appliances are crap.

My previous house ate two GE dishwashers that were each about five years old; finally wised up and bought a Maytag.

My new house came with a GE dishwasher. Guess what?

Recalled!!!!!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Reply to
John~

I had one of the Maytag's that were recalled earlier this year. A pain in the butt to deal with Maytag/Whirlpool and Sear's service (A&E).

Reply to
SMS

Sounds just like the recent Maytag recall. Same problem/issue.

Soooo..... who copied who?

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Awhile back, somebody mentioned to me that GE was the subject of the longest-running consumer boycott in history. For making shitty appliances? No; for making nuclear power plants.

Which struck me as odd, seeing as how there haven't been any new nuclear power plants built in the U.S. in what, 25 years? Then again, I understand there are people who still won't buy anything made by Dow Chemical, due to their producing napalm during the Vietnam War. Hell hath no fury like a liberal spurned...

But my *real* "take away" was:

"A 'long-running boycott.' Now *there's* a claim to fame!" Dumb s**ts...

Geoff

-- "As Tim would never say about your kind, you need to be put to death." -- Steve Thompson

Reply to
Geoff Miller

Do you think they only build things in the U.S.?

And you think conservatives are any different?

Did you hear the Rep. candidate in the background at the first Rep. candidates' debate complaining that Bill Clinton had decreased the size of the army? It's been 6 years with the Reps controlling everything until this January. They've made not even an attempt to increase the size of the army but they are still blaming Bill Clinton.

And we're in a war now with multiple and extended tours.

Would you deal with a company you thought was immoral? Maybe you would.

Reply to
Buck

Actually GE makes replacement parts for nuclear power plants. Big business for them.

Reply to
Art
[a boycott of GE for making nuclear power plants]

: Which struck me as odd, seeing as how there haven't been any new : nuclear power plants built in the U.S. in what, 25 years? Then

No. I think that a sane, well-adjusted person would only *care* if they built them in the U.S. After all, these are the same sorts of people who are always whining about America forcing its will on other, weaker nations. One would reasonably expect them to be consistent, and applaud the idea of other nations being free to make their own decisions and form their own policies vis-a-vis nuclear energy.

And once another country had crossed that line and decided that it wants a nuclear power plant, what difference does it make where the plant came from? Even if one objects to nuclear power on principle, I'd think it would be seen as desirable that once a decision had been made by some nation to go that route, it was an American company that landed the contract. Wouldn't you? I mean, it wouldn't have been the contractor's fault that the nation in question had decided to go with nuclear power.

: again, I understand there are people who still won't buy anything : made by Dow Chemical, due to their producing napalm during the : Vietnam War. Hell hath no fury like a liberal spurned...

That would certainly seem to be the implication of what I wrote, yes.

What's that got to do with GE, boycotts and nuclear power plants?

What's that got to do with GE, boycotts and nuclear power plants?

Get a grip. Go take a Midol or something. You liberals are such

*emotional* creatures. There's a lot of truth to the idea that liberalism is basaed on ferminine emotionalism, and conservatism is based on masculine rationality.

That begs the question of whether GE is, in fact, immoral.

: "A 'long-running boycott.' Now *there's* a claim to fame!" : Dumb s**ts...

And well that it should've been, for I stand by it.

Geoff

-- "Mommy, can ladies be taken apart?" "No, son, why do you ask?" "Because Daddy said he wanted to screw the ass off the lady next door."

Reply to
Geoff Miller

OK, that's what you think, but it's not true. You are not an authority on sane or well-adjusted.

After all, these are the same

This has nothing to do with that. It's a boycott of a company, and not a nation.

One would reasonably expect them

Get it? It's not about nations but about corporations that build nuclear power plants.

Again you are wrong.

It has to do with your first line, where you complained that it had been 25 years. Please, try to follow. There are other things that conservatives have harped on for 25 years also, but none come to mind.

You're bankrupt if you have to resort to ad hominems. Of course, you started off that way, but these 3 are even more ridiculous.

Rrationality? Their usual m.o. is trying to ridicule the opposition. It's pitiful.

No, it only relates to whether they they or you think something is immoral. And you didn't answer the question. Was it too difficult for you? Are you still trying to form a set of values?

I don't know who wrote the lines that start with >: . Not me.

You may have the last word. This is hopeless.

Reply to
Buck

(snip)

Or feminine common sense, and masucline testosterone poisoning. There is plenty of stupidity on both sides, displayed on a regular basis. Quite often, both the mainstream 'sides' are wrong. Screw politics- try to do what works, and avoid what doesn't, and/or what will bite you in the ass later.

aem sends....

Reply to
aemeijers

Actually, the demoncrats are always the ones who show up at a Rep. speaking engagements and try to shout down (and talk over) the speaker. This is a feminine tactic if I've ever seen one.

Their rationale is 'as long as my lips are moving I can't hear you.' And they hope no one else will either. That's one thing I don't see republicans doing - trying to prevent the exchange of ideas like the left (nazi's) do(es)..

Neway.. Ge is crap. Unfortunaly 'my' new house also came with a Ge oven (wonder how long 'that'll last)... Fortunatly every thing else is not GE...

Reply to
Charles Pisano

The *basis* of conservatism is doing what works. Modern "liberalism" refuses to measure and give up dogma that doesn't.

Reply to
krw

:::clapping and cheering:::

Banty

Reply to
Banty

I had a dishwasher catch fire back in 1995 I don't know if it was a GE, as it was sold as Kenmore. Luckily my quick thinking, oldest son was home he discovered it and put the fire out before it could spread to the cabinets. What really amazed me was that it was running at the time. My wife called Sears and they quickly whisked it away and replaced it with a top of the line Kenmore, likely for the purpose of securing the evidence in case of a civil action.

Reply to
Eric in North TX