Japanese marquetry magic

4 min. Hakone style marquetry awesomeness.

Spalted Walt

Color me impressed!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

What, no power tools? Amazing.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

all amazing the product the techniques the tools the skills

and maybe they most amazing is the ability to do that day in and day out for many years and maintain the desire and quality

one side note the stewardship of their forests is remarkable

they do import some lumber too but they carefully manage their natural wood resources

Reply to
Electric Comet

WOW!

Reply to
Meanie

Well Stated and noted. I was the North American Engineering Manager for a '3-diamond' (red) company and some of the senior staff dabbled in some of this training for retirement. Some of the secret boxes - slides and trap doors in this beautiful craft shakes the wood working down to your toes.

Look at the end of the show and the elder man power with the shaving tool was something. Years of use builds just the muscles needed.

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

They import a boat load of the best American veneers for their plywoods.

Reply to
Leon

Amazing! I wonder how the actual boxes are built.

Reply to
Leon

making those thin veneers requires strength as you say plus the plane has to have the perfect consistent sharpness

plus on the ground cross legged which seems to me a feat as well

Reply to
Electric Comet