1950s German appliance wiring colour codes

I have a 1950s German slide projector (anyone remember slides?) which I have been using with its German mains plug and an adaptor.
I decided to replace the plug with a UK 13A plug. Having removed the German plug, I cannot remember which wire went were, and the colour coding is unfamiliar to me.
There are three wires, coloured red, black and light grey. Can anyone tell me which is which? I guessed at
red = live black = neutral
but is the grey wire really the earth?
Definitive advice will be very much appreciated!
Tony Polson wrote:

Far from definitive, but my guess is black and grey are mains and red is earth.
You should be able to find earth fairly easily by doing a continuity test between each of the three wires and the case. It shouldn't matter much which way round the other two are connected to L&N.
Owain
Tony Polson wrote:

a multimeter will tell you which is which in no time.
NT
On 4 Oct 2006 16:53:45 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote:
|Tony Polson wrote: | |> I have a 1950s German slide projector (anyone remember slides?) which |> I have been using with its German mains plug and an adaptor. |> |> I decided to replace the plug with a UK 13A plug. Having removed the |> German plug, I cannot remember which wire went were, and the colour |> coding is unfamiliar to me. |> |> There are three wires, coloured red, black and light grey. Can anyone |> tell me which is which? I guessed at |> |> red = live |> black = neutral |> |> but is the grey wire really the earth? |> |> Definitive advice will be very much appreciated! | |a multimeter will tell you which is which in no time.
The switch should be in the *live* wire.
--
Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk> Google Groups is IME the *worst*

I'd really not guess about this.
Black used to be line on continental stuff with light blue as neutral.
The only safe way is to check with a DVM for a *dead short* between exposed metalwork and one of the wires which should then be earth. Or better still, open up the device and check physically. And replace the flex while you're at it with the correct modern stuff.
The earth should be obvious as it will be connected to the metalwork. The line will go to the switch if a single pole type.
--
*If all is not lost, where the hell is it?

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

My advice also.

Definitely take the projector apart and see where the wires go.
Unless things are very different from my expectation, the live will go to the switch, the neutral to the other side of the bulb/fan/transformer/whatever, and the earth to the chassis.
A clear photo of the gizzards macht alles klaar, yah?
--
Skipweasel

DANGER DANGER DANGER Some german appliances of that era had RED RTH and caused death when imported into the UK and the earth was connected to live. This was one of many reasons why we now have common wireing colours....

Yes. FWIW, some German cars used red for the negative or ground - the exact opposite of UK practice.
It's what annoys me when the objectors to unified colours throughout the EU go on about the 'instinctive' old colours. There's no such thing.
--
*Isn't it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do "practice?"

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I think those people mean that *our* colours were "instinctive". What those Jerries think is another thing entirely.
Owain
Owain wrote:

well are they?
Ive seen plenty of red earth in my time, and brown. Don't even have to go further than Devon. Most earth is brown or black. Never seen any green earth.
And as far as blue being a neutral colour. Not anywhere I've ever been. Its usually the colour of some political faction or other.

But the *covering* is green.

There you go. What's 'logical' to one isn't to another.
Most earth varies around the brown end of the colour scale - certainly not green. Of course other English speaking countries call the safety connection 'ground'. Dunno what it's called in other languages.
--
*I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges*

Copper-coloured wire with a green cover and reddish-brown dirt with a green cover --- the comparison makes sense to me.
Of course 2/3 of the earth is covered with water, but I don't recommend this as an electrical technique.

Green, grass, ground.
;-)

Well in that case the terminal should be marked "Grass" (to be instictive). Had not brown been snaffled for live it would have been just as instinctive for earth. Black is more instinctive for neutral and red is for danger innit?
--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Consider; the UNO (or as the francophone say; ONU) utilises blue as the ground for its flag; signifying neutrality. Can one assume that the significance eluded you?
--

Brian

OTOH: 'Human Factor Engineers/industrial Physiologists do know about what is 'instinctive', or at least inculturated, for the 'majority' of people. 'Righty-Tighty ~ Lefty-Loosey'; Red -danger ; Clockwise-more, Anti-Clockwise~less; works for we acculturated folks in the UK. Having to bow-down to the dictates of an unelected bunch of Eurocrats dreaming up directives 'to work towards a more integrated Europe' is really 'what annoys me' (to quote your words).
BTW; AIUI the EU bureaucracy will not employ people born _before_ the establishment of its predecessor(s) [Application forms bear a statement to that effect]. "It's what annoys me" that people with a earlier date-of-birth are presumed to be objectors "throughout the EU"
--

Brian

Surely this is against the EU's own legislation?
--
"Other people are not your property."

It might be, it might not be .... however it's policy. {I recall, dimly, seeing an advert for a Brussels job for which I (IMHO) was qualified ... the application form had a statement to the effect ; "Applicants born before dd/mm/yyyy will not be considered", I mentioned it en-passant to my MP who shrugged with a 'c'est le vie', some might say Gallic, gesture!}
Votre ami
--

Brian

The opposite of taps then.