Bread ping Rod

I have just decided to have one more go, I just wasted more money than a commercial loaf of bread.I got Crusty white Laucke mix 500gm,it says 320 ml water bread machine or 290ml hand mixed. So how much water does it need to not end up pumpernickel?

Reply to
FMurtz

The standard formula for bread is what they call 70%, in baking terms that means for 1000g solids, 700g liquid. eg 500g flour mix requires

350g (or ml, same) water. That goes for machines and hand kneading.

TW

Reply to
TimW

Are you doing it by hand or in a bread maker?

If by hand, I highly recommend mixing the dough, possibly a bit soft, and p utting into a lightly greased plastic bag. The bag must be much bigger than the dough. Push most of the air out and either put a clip or tie on it, ge ntly tie a loose knot in the bag, or simply fold the top of the bag under. Place on a shelf in your refrigerator for many hours - at least overnight.

Take out, knock down, form, allow to rise (takes longer than with warm doug h so cover to make sure it does not dry out) and bake.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Bread machine, have never been successful, just trying to see how others manage not to end up with pumpernickel,

Reply to
FMurtz

I follow the instructions. I use strong white flour (Tesco's own isn't bad but Allinson's makes a better loaf), dried yeast, salt, some Stork and a bit more than the specified amount of water. Works a treat.

Fortunately I don't know what pumpernickel (sounds like some Septic abomination) is so can't judge if that's what mine is making.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Pumpernickel is a fairly dense, chewy, dark rye bread. If you are not using wholegrain rye flour, you are not making pumpernickel. It's dense due to its naturally lower gluten content - I generally add wheat gluten to mine.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Aaron

nd putting into a lightly greased plastic bag. The bag must be much bigger than the dough. Push most of the air out and either put a clip or tie on it , gently tie a loose knot in the bag, or simply fold the top of the bag und er. Place on a shelf in your refrigerator for many hours - at least overnig ht.

dough so cover to make sure it does not dry out) and bake.

I do at least know what pumpernickel is - and actually like it - but it is no substitute for more conventional bread.

I used to use a breadmaker quite a bit but never, ever, had an issue such a s you describe.

I suggest something wrong with the breadmaker or the mix. (I never used a m ix - always basic ingredients.)

Reply to
polygonum_on_google