bread making machine yeast

Anybody know why ordinary yeast is deprecated for bread machines in favour of 'easy-bake' with added vitC? What might happen if I ignore the instructions?

cheers Jacob

PS just bought a breadmaker cos our Magimix 5100 is not up to the task inspite of following instructions perfectly. If anybody wants to know how Magimix can offer 3 year guarantees on their motors it's because the flimsy top gear and accessories will break first if used a lot - and are bloody expensive to replace.

Reply to
normanwisdom

"normanwisdom" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@y41g2000cwy.googlegroups.com:

Bread is likely not to rise properly. Might be rather heavy or unpalatable. Dried yeast might not disperse properly. Fresh yeast might dry up or go a bit off if left in dry or hot conditions for many hours.

The bread making machines are set up in the anticipation of being fed with the sachet-type yeast. The recipes and the programs all work together. Almost certainly one or t'other would need adjustment to work well with other yeasts.

Vitamin C helps yeast to grow quickly. Amylase helps yeast to break down starch into sugars.

That is not to say there aren't some people who use dried or fresh - just there are plenty of potential pitfalls on the way.

I have always wanted to be able to reprogram the bread maker - allowing a very long, cool overnight rise. Sure I saw some instructions somewhere...

Reply to
Rod

Not following instructions either makes not enough dough to cook right or too much dough which overflows and fills the kitchen with smoke as it burns on the element.

Try it. The burnt stuff comes off. :)

How long you had it? Send it back to them. Say you'd expect more from their company.

Reply to
mogga

I wrote and complained about a Magimix after a couple of months. It didn't break, I just thought it didn't work very well. They said take it back to the shop and get your money back. I did. The shop didn't even want to see the letter.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Flippin 'eck, Jacob. What about uk.food+drink.misc??? Why DIY? "Because there are knowledgeable people here"? Since it's you and not the other feller:

Fresh yeast is best (perhaps not with delayed start cycle). You can get it free at Tesco (2 oz. or so, sometimes much more. You can freeze the stuff in lots and use it when desired). Dried "ordinary" yeast works, but isn't recommended, I think because the "bobbles" are big, and take more time to mix in and start "working". I have used "ordinary", mixing it in with warm water to "dissolve" it first, it's OK. Even stuff "best before 2003" worked (see N/G referred to above). In the 'fridge I have some (tramp tramp mutter grumble....) Allinson's "easy bake", well well. It's got much, much smaller "bobbles" than "normal" dried yeast. It's also got E491, Sorbitan Monostearate, which helps "wet" and break up the minute bobbles quickly so that the yeast starts to work quickly, and is mixed in intimately with the dough. The vitamin C is used as a "flour improver" and (IIRC) helps get the yeast going (ICBW). The "easy bake" is best IME for the general bread machine "bung it all in and let it go" process. Baker's yeast for bread, etc. "by hand".

P.S. A packet of Allinson's "Easy Bake" doesn't work well as a mouse.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Where is the amylase in easy-bake yeast? Mine says it's got yeast, E491, Ascorbic Acid in it.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Magimix are a Froggy company, aren't they?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Chris Bacon wrote in news:44907d5b$ snipped-for-privacy@newsgate.x- privat.org:

Depends on make/brand. I can't remember which do and which don't as we have standardised on Sainsbury's own so don't bother looking at others now. But indeed, some did contain it.

OK - went to look at packet:

Dried yeast (93%), Calcium sulphate, Flour treatment agents: Ascorbic acid, Alpha amylase; Emulsifier: Sorbitan monostearate. Recipes for Onion Bread and Chelsea Buns included.

Is your yeast Allinson's?

Reply to
Rod

You too!

No recipes on mine. I just want to make white or wholemeal, as close as I can get it to "bakery bread".

Yup. Same price as Allinson's "ordinary", too.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

|Anybody know why ordinary yeast is deprecated for bread machines in |favour of 'easy-bake' with added vitC? |What might happen if I ignore the instructions?

uk.food+drink.misc is thataway >>>>>

They have lots of expertise on bread making with and without machines

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Does that mean they are an ecological company - ie 'green'? Or are you just being a weensy bit racist?

I bought a small Magimix 25 years ago when they were made by another company and my daughter now has it. It is in frequent use. I certainly wouldn't use my present 5100 for bread, mainly because it would probably work its way off the worktop. The only problem I have with the 5100 is that the bowl cracked after about three years' use, whereas the small on has never needed a replacement. I believe the motors do not have a belt, like a conventional machine.

Reply to
June Hughes

Amylase is just the enzyme that yeast uses to break down the starch to sugars, adding just means that the rection starts quicker, i.e. 'easy bake' just makes for a faster reaction start and gets the yeast working faster. Mike

Reply to
mike_lincs

We've found that a 1:1:1 mix of white, wholemeal and granary flours makes for a good recipe.

Reply to
John Cartmell

Well it's DIY breadmaking innit? Anyway I don't know anybody in uk.food+drink.misc and I'm a bit shy. I've now tried both yeasts, and the bread is the same but subtly different - both much lighter and more like shop bread than the dense brick I'm used to. I think the difference is in the rate of reaction as you say. The eezibake with vitC froths up faster making a lighter dough sooner, which is easier to knead and so reduces strain on the apparatus.

cheers Jacob

Reply to
normanwisdom

|> Flippin 'eck, Jacob. What about uk.food+drink.misc??? Why DIY? |> "Because there are knowledgeable people here"? Since it's |> you and not the other feller: | |Well it's DIY breadmaking innit? Anyway I don't know anybody in |uk.food+drink.misc and I'm a bit shy.

I am on uk.food+drink.misc where they are *very* knowledgeable about bread making machines. I avoid answering OT questions where there is an obvious better uk.* newsgroup available.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

It's also an enzyme found in our saliva, which is why, if you chew a starchy substance for a while, it starts to sweeten. I'm quite surprised it's needed in yeast, though, since sugar is added to the mix to get things going! I'll read some labels when I next buy yeast, to see what's in what! Ta.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I've found on my breadmaker that using the "quick" setting results in a denser loaf. I'm not sure I prefer it, though. I am currently doing some experiments with varying amounts/types of fat in the mix. I am told, on uk.f+d.m, that more fat will result in a chewier loaf (some of the ones that I've made are rather "cakey" in texture, and fragile).

Could be... have you tried fresh yeast, or mixing the yeast with the water and sugar before bunging it in and getting it running?

erm... yes. I'm all for that.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I usually mix two teaspoons of flour with about the same of cold water and mix to a slurry, then slowly add boiling water & stirring to make up 10% more than the quantity of liquid required. I then allow it to cool, and add a packet of yeast and allow to ferment for several hours. I then use most of this as the liquid in the recipe. (I always weigh the ingredients using auto-zero scales.)

This seems more consistent than adding the yeast dry at the end of the contents. It obviously won't work if you are delaying the start of the machine, as far as I can tell.

Reply to
<me9

Try one of those rubberised mats with lots of holes in underneath it to keep it still. I was amazed that one of these made the difference between my breadmaker moving around all over the worktop and staying exactly where it was. I now use it on a shelf that is about one inch all round bigger than the machine, and it has never fallen off thanks to the mat.

-- Save the earth. It's the only planet with chocolate. Steph Peters, Manchester, England email: delete invalid from snipped-for-privacy@sandbenders.demon.co.uk.invalid

Reply to
Steph Peters