Panasonic bread maker

I have a ten year old Panasonic bread maker. It's still working fine, except that the non-stick coating on the bread pan is a bit worn.

A replacement bread pan costs £55, which is a lot to spend on an old machine. I can buy a replacement for under £100, most likely.

Does anyone know whether the existing pan can be recoated, please? Or a sensible alternative to paying silly money for an OEM part?

Reply to
GB

In theory it could be recoated but it would cost a lot more than £55 to get it clean, grease free and apply a one off coating that will last. You might be able to clean it completely and oil it like a classical frying pan - no longer non-stick but useable as cookware.

Before you invest too much in it check that the impeller isn't about to fail too - ours had to be shimmed to work after a decade or so as the shaft had so worn that the D shaped hole that it was almost round.

Reply to
Martin Brown

GB snipped-for-privacy@microsoft.invalid posted

I have had the same problem, and very likely the same machine - an SD-253. In my case it was really just the paddle that was getting worn.

What I did was keep looking in the charity shops. You often see them in there - typically virtually unused, and usually priced less than £10. I found one within a few months. And like Chris I kept my old one in the loft just in case.

Reply to
Algernon Goss-Custard

I have never net a non stick coating yet that (a) didn't stick (b) lasted more than 30 heat cycles. Most last way less.

I am now 100% cast iron wherever possible, because when it sticks you can scrub bit clean, add some oil and its good to go.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Can't you just paint the pan with oil with a pastry brush?

Reply to
Max Demian

No, that doesn't work unfortunately, as the dough is mixed in the pan. Then kneaded, etc. By the time that's done, any oil on the pan would be scraped off by the dough.

Reply to
GB

You are confusing BREAD MAKERS with frypans.

Reply to
John Brown

I now do all bread making in a mixers and oven tins. The oven tins I use are galvanised, and from shrinkage in to the bake I've always been able to knock the loaves out. But then I do also oil the sides.

There are sprays that work on a one-off basis but once a PTFE surface is gone there's not much you can do.

Reply to
Fredxx

I am not. I also use raw steel baking trays, or porcelain

Nothing I have ever both with non stick has ever lasted

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I find sheet steel rusts, and this rust is bit of an inconvenience. I might even say it is more of an inconvenience than a failing PTFE coating.

Reply to
Fredxx

I presumed he meant oil the thing and then bake it so the oil becomes a shiny black layer like on a frying pan or old style baking trays.

It will require a lot more thumping to get the bread out but once it has been conditioned it should be reasonable. The alternative is use the breadmaker to make the dough and cook it in a traditional bread tin.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Tricky as the paddle drive bearing would be destroyed if the whole tin is baked to oil burning temperatures.

I have to say I've given up on bread-makers as they soon become unreliable.

Reply to
Fredxx

The Natural Philosopher snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid wrote

Yes you are.

But there are no cast iron bread maker tins.

You clearly haven't used a bread maker. I have never had the non stick in the Breville bread makers ever fail and I use mine every 4 days for many years now.

Reply to
John Brown

Guess why I dont have a bread maker?

Since every other post you have made has been an untruth, I am not really going to believe that.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There was a review of three makes of bread maker, one being the panny on C5 The Gadget Show about 2 weeks ago. Might still be on their catchup system.

Reply to
Andrew

The Natural Philosopher snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid wrote

I know why. You are mindlessly prejudiced about non stick stuff and haven't even noticed that it works fine in bread makers because they work very differently to frypans etc.

More of your bare faced lies and childish attempt at insults.

You have always been, and always will be, completely and utterly irrelevant. What you may or may not believe in spades.

Reply to
John Brown

Just before the firsty lockdown, (feb 2010, SWMBO bought a Panasonic breadmaker, It's been used every 4 or 5 days since then.

Reply to
charles

Too tight?

Most of my breadmakers have failed due to electronics or the bearing on the tin. I don't recall the non-stick lining failing.

Reply to
Fredxx

Panasonics we have owned are quite reliable, although the previous one eventually stripped its bearing.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Recoating company, in Germany:

If the pan is similar to a "large (28cm) rice pot", it would cost 30? plus about

6,90? shipping.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer