Panasonic bread maker

The lining failure may depend upon if, and how often, you add seeds to your mix, which can be pretty abrasive.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Chris J Dixon snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk> wrote

I have always used multigrain bread mix because that is what I prefer and none of the Breville cans have had the non stick coating fail in decades.

Reply to
John Brown

I price working breadmakers for a lot more in the charity shop where I volunteer - follow eBay pricing ! Picking up a spare tin or non-working unit from eBay or Freegle is the best way forward

Reply to
Robert

You must be doing something wrong then. It lasts very well indeed until you put the first scratch into it or get it very very hot.

I cant see a breadmaker even getting close to those temperatures - I have seen someone do it to a frying pan they forgot was on the stove.

We had a Panasonic one from when it first came out. It blew its motor start capacitor once and the impeller eventually became too loose to work without a brass shim inside. Then eventually the bearing went. It lasted nearly two decades. Its replacement is still in regular use.

In neither case has the non stick coating of the bread container shown any signs of damage. The nonstick coating wore off the impeller after a few years which means that sometimes it wants to stay in the loaf.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Indeed. The days when astonishing bargains could be found in charity shops (many people make a(n ebay) living out of stuff they get in charity shops) are a lot thinner now that shop staff look at what a similar product sold for on fleabay.

Nowadays its only the occasional book or bit of jewellry or pottery that slips through unnoticed by staff.

Reply to
Andrew

It may depend on what flour you use. I mostly make wholemeal bread, plus some granary. I imagine that anybody making mainly white bread would see the coatings last longer?

Reply to
GB

I kind of thought that might be the case. I've never used one; I knead the dough by hand.

Reply to
Max Demian

In medievil days peoples teeth wore out because flour was laced with abrasive stone dust mixed in with the flour from the way the grain was ground.

Even today, setting the milling gap between the stones is a precise art. Get it wrong and the stones are damaged and the flour presumably not fit for human consumption.

Reply to
Andrew

Exactly, the charity want to get the full market price for its donations ( the donors expect it ). I'm always surprised at some of the niche tech stuff "my" charity shop manages to sell on the shopfloor . If it doesnt sell quickly it goes on eBay whose charges are very low for charities. But just general advice - check that the item has been functionally tested ( that is was take the expertise and time) rather than just a PAT test.

Reply to
Robert

The Breville impellers used to do that but they upgraded the process and it doesn?t happen anymore. Never had any failures in the Brevilles other than the bread tin bearing either and even that doesn?t happen anymore now that I put the water in last.

Reply to
John Brown

IME, depends where you live. The big charities can circulate stuff, target socio-economic groups, and price accordingly. But if they don't, or it's a one-off shop, things like bread makers go for very little.

Reply to
RJH

Agree, best bet is the shops of small local charities ( if they sell electrics - lots of shops dont because of lack of expertise and PAT testing). Moving stock around between shops is generally not economic, the major charity chain I volunteer at do not move stuff around!. OT Just a plug but offering one's services to Charity shops to check and price their tech donations is good fun let alone rewarding. Its kept me sane since retiring.

Reply to
Robert

How do you 'functionally test' a 40+ YO amplifier, FM tuner and CD player though ?. This takes time and knowledge of that particular combination. Anyone who sticks a 'PAT tested' sticker on a loudspeaker, probably doesn't really know what to do.

Reply to
Andrew

I'd be a bit worried of particles of whatever the coating was in the food though. I've never heard of a recoating. You need to find out what it was and see if there is a local company doing a remove and recoating service, but on a one off, my guesses that would serious money. Now if you running a domestic appliance museum then it might be worth it. Having said that if its still cheaper than a new one, then it might be worth it I suppose. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

The trouble is partly that I paid around £60 for the whole machine, so £55 for a new bread pan just seems like a piss-take really. The price of the machines went up during the pandemic lockdown, and they haven't really come down much. I guess the importers and retailers got used to the nice big profit margins.

Reply to
GB

Just set up a search on Ebay for the same model and get it to tell you when one comes up, it'll probably go for £10 plus postage and come with a pan you can use.

Reply to
Murmansk

Our Panasonic has the same problem. Half the PTFE coating has gone from the bottom of the pan. It doesn't seem to matter though, the bread comes out the same as it always did, so I wouldn't bother replacing it.

This is our 4th breadmaker. It's about 2 years old and hasn't been particularly good, although each of the others diddn't last more than about 4 years. The Panasonic's ingredients dispenser failed after about a year, then the PTFE began to peel off and now one of the plastic dogs on the paddle drive has snapped off. I don't expect it to last much longer.

It's been the least reliable and we won't be buying another Panasonic.

Reply to
R Souls

Not difficult, takes a bit of time and expertise. But I am sure most of us on this group have years of generic skills and experience unlike some of the younger generation who require a course and certificate before switching anything on ! Google is also your friend and I am now happy testing Games consoles, ipods and exotic sound processors ! But in practice not many Charity shops sell electricals more complicated than lamps because of the lack of volunteers with suitable experience.

Reply to
Robert

They coat high temperature car exhaust systems with a ceramic coating, I don't know the non-stickiness of that.

PTFE / PFOA rings toxicity alarm bells if you google about.

(Well, so does water....)

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

I wouldn't get a new Panasonic bread maker. They're s**te. Plenty of better makes out there. Panasonic make very decent audio gear, but have lost the plot in other areas.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom