Trapped in an underground car park

The roller shutter doors had a bit of a malfunction

Now what tool did I use to get the van out the car park?

And the maintainance bloke for the site asked "Can you bent the metal back and reattach the chain?

Reply to
ARW

Jemmy bar?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Since this is uk.d-i-y, it has to be Angle Grinder!

Did the answer involve sex and travel?

Reply to
John Rumm

Chain from barrier to van tow bar?

Reply to
John J

You fitted a toothed cog to your drill and wound the shutter up?

That implies you bent something, isn't that cheating?

Some roller shutter doors can be worked by chain, just in case the drive motor fails or the chain comes off!

Reply to
Fredxx

Do you have a power winch mounted on the front of the van?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

What is the bolt in the foreground for? I mean, why does it look like it's been ripped out of the wall.

I would guess the van's socket set. Unscrew the bolts, give a bit of play, fit the chain on, then screw the bolts up again.

I would have thought the door should have a manual release, which, if it's not your responsibility...

Reply to
Pancho

I am not sure that is correct.

There are manual pull switches to disconnect and reconnect the the motor to and from the main drive chain. But it still needs the main drive chain (bicycle chain) to be in working order.

Reply to
ARW

It looks like it has been ripped out the wall because it has been ripped out the wall.

That is the reason the chain fell off the cogs.

The metal plate holding the motor is totally bent.

Never going to work. Refit a rawlbolt into a blown hole:-)

See my post to Fred.

--Adam

Reply to
ARW

Just a wench in the passenger seat.

And the winch would not work even if I had one. The safety system had pulled in the drop bolt on the opposite side to the motor.

Reply to
ARW

Then it was probably badly installed from the outset and the chain is being forced to run at a slight angle and has finally chewed the edges off the cog teeth and jumped off.

Could be that angle bolt has pulled out of the wall allowing the motor to twist and has been like it for some time.

Reply to
Andrew

Forklift under the door?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Hefty lass, was she?

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

Hmmm, an Allen key?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Of course it was:-)

Slice straight up the middle of the shutter curtain to the required height and slide off all the leaves.

Reply to
ARW

Curves in all the right places

Reply to
ARW

The one I have is worm drive to the main roller spindle. I can attach a chain to the end of the motor if I get stuck. Thankfully never had to, but this a different setup to the one you photo'd.

Ok

Reply to
Fredxx

Didn't that cause a little damage?