Custom maple bread machine cabinet

I posted some pictures of a custom cabinet I built for SWMBO's bread machine. She wanted a place to hide it away where she could easily bake a loaf of bread without having to take it out and set it up in the kitchen. I made a slide-out shelf for it in a cupboard whose opening was just wide enough for the bread machine to slide out between the mounting plates for the cup hinges. I checked it over and over throughout the process of building it, just to make sure that the bread machine still fit and that I hadn't done something stupid with my measurements.

Alas, all my checking was no match for my stupidity. I completed the entire thing and moved it into the house and actually put the bread machine into it before I realized my mistake. The machine fit just fine... until you tried to open its door to take out the bread pan. The door is about 3" thick, and it's hinged at its left edge, so when you open the door 90 degrees, it sticks out 3 extra inches to the left. Since I had used cup hinges that only open a bit beyond 90 degrees for the cabinet doors, there was no room left for the bread machine door to open. I swapped the hinges out for some 170 degree hinges, but the complicated mechanism stuck so far into the cabinet opening that it blocked the bread machine from sliding out. Eventually, I was able to find some 130 degree hinges which allowed the cabinet door to get out of the way just enough to open the bread machine door enough to get the pan in and out. Luckily, those hinges were small enough to let the machine slide out by them.

Here are the pictures. They are in reverse chronological order. If you look at the first picture on page 1, you'll see that the left door opens slightly more than the right.

you click on a picture, click "All Sizes" above it to see it in higher resolution.

Josh

Reply to
Josh

It looks nice though. Good recovery on fixing that oversight.

Mark & Juanita

Oh, I got that one beat... I needed a pair of rectangular picture frames for a couple pictures. Needed two frames so made a total of two long sides and two short sides. Got as far as trimming them to size before I realized my error...

Sort of like if there are 3 apples and you take away 2... how many do you have?

Joe Barta

Reply to
Joe Barta

I was gonna say make another one, but I see from your photos that this is a major piece, no going back.

Maybe a new bread machine.

Speaking of that, appliances don't last forever. Furniture lasts significantly longer. You've sized the opening right to the dimensions of this machine. *Are* there any other machines that can fit in this opening?

Reply to
George Max

I did think of that. It's a pretty big machine, so I think most others would fit as well. In the worst case, it's still a pretty good storage space for a future bread machine or whatever, even if my wife has to take it out and set it up on top to make bread.

Josh