Price of bread at Lidl - why discount it?

I've just been in Lidl doing some food shopping. On my list was bread and I usually buy a Warmburtons Toasty, to put in two slice bags, in the freezer - defrosting as needed, because I don't eat much. I make a point of buying the freshest I can find, usually with a BBE three days ahead, because I don't like day old bread.

30th today and all they had was BBE 2nd July, 30 + 1 + 2 = three days. Fine I would have bought it and it felt fresh, except it was marked down 25%. Got it home, decided on F&C, with which I do like some B&B and so used what I had just bought. Lovely and fresh, definately baked early this morning - so why discount it?
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

It stops Tesco/Sainsbury running price matching TV advertisements today.

Reply to
alan_m

In message <t9k9ve$1u2at$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Harry Bloomfield Esq snipped-for-privacy@harrym1byt.plus.com> writes

My shopper gets me Warburtons seeded when available with the surplus going in the freezer. I use 3 slices most days (breakfast + lunch) and find it stays fresh enough for toasting kept wrapped and in our bread bin.

Pass.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I buy Warburton's toastie to toast it. Provided it hasn't gone green, it tastes much the same toasted however old it is.

To get people with limited budgets to shop there for essentials, rather than at a competitor would be my guess. They probably rotate discounts on core foodstuffs.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Colin Bignell submitted this idea :

There was lots of other makes/types of bread not discounted, but only one of those plastic trays halffull of this loaf. I would normally expect maybe four or five trays of the same stacked up.

My usual consumption is maybe one or two slices per day.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

At least their slices separate nicely from the freezer rather than sticking together.

Reply to
mechanic

mechanic presented the following explanation :

They do if frozen in twos, or threes, but not if you freeze them with more in a bag, or the complete loaf as one.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

I always do and not had a problem. Then toast it straight from frozen.

Factory farmed sliced bread always goes straight in the freezer.

Reply to
RJH

Why complain? I know sales of the wholemeal and half and half have increased of late, maybe the line is flagging a bit? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Brian Gaff formulated the question :

Oh, not complaining at all, just curious to know why they might discount something which is very fresh, popular and which they didn't have a lot of.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Perhaps it was the discount that lead to them not having a lot left.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

They may well have had a lot of before they applied the discount.

Reply to
zaq