LInux - pah humbug.

Time to get him to do it again...

Reply to
Bob Eager

well that isn't Mate behaviour so you have another desktop manager. Probably cinnamon. It would be a good ideas to say what it is.

Have you tried dragging and dropping the icon in the taskbar?

whatever. I have created lots of desktop shortcuts for custom code and then dragged them into my menu bar (i use a sidebar rather than the task bar, so I have one bar that invokes, and another that tells me what's running)

Cinnamon is a but quirky - its much prettier than mate, but they hide the functionality too deep for me.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I dunno. I always fire up the system monitor!

That tells me!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Tim: I think this covers what you need:

(I am not a cinnamon girl, as it were).

The Natural Philosopher

Try "dmesg" command to get a more-descriptive model string.

smpboot: CPU0: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 family: 0x6, model: 0x3c, stepping: 0x3

Using Google, that's as close as I can get to a tentative model. I used the bogomips to zero in on an approximate match.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

You can pin an application to the panel.

[Picture]

You can make a Folder icon by creating a new launcher up above. But it doesn't sit in your panel/Taskbar. It's easy to do though.

[Picture]

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Windows has IFS (Installable File System) which is equivalent to FUSE.

The first I remember of those was EXT2IFS. Which allowed me to view my Linux partition, from Windows. However, this convenience did not last long, because the EXT flavor implemented, was the very first EXT and did not even survive the EXT expansion operation which was used to make EXT support larger disk drives.

The author of the program, did not want to turn that into a lifetime support issue, so it stayed as it was.

But at least the framework is in Windows, if anyone wants to write code.

The other framework provided by a third-party, is

"Dokany - an MIT-licensed framework for filesystems in Windows userspace that uses a separate kernel driver, with available .NET bindings"

That's probably a thing that dresses up the IFS facility.

"Dokan" is not exactly mainstream. If you went to a Windows group, no one would have heard of it.

To give an example of just how flexible Windows is, support for ExFAT was added to Windows XP via a download. It's just possible that was done as an IFS, rather than a "regular" file system support. ExFAT is native to later OSes.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Thanks. Seems you have to have an item in the "Start Menu" first, then you can pin it. God knows why.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The very concept of 'pinning' is a Microsoft term. I think the cinnamon boys went too far in being 'just like XP'. it is possible that 'that's how MS works'

Blindly copying MS to reduce culture shock is a two edged sword.

IIRC cinnamon while exceptionally pretty, is more limited than MATE - inn particular MATE allows virtual screens that you can switch between, which is handier than having applications minimised, when you are multitasking (in human terms) When I installed Cinnamon, it didn't have these, and they were a must-have for me, so I went back to Mate.

Mate for me is pretty enough and is more customisable.

My windows look like OSX windows with MAC style buttons and birders and the buttons are on t he left.

My taskbar - well is more a status bar - is full of widgets, and it autohides. My start menus are down the right in a sort of 'dock' that also autohides.

It contains shortcuts to the applications I use constantly, including ones I wrote myself.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Who doesn't use 2 (if not 3) monitors these days ?

Compiz was a f****ng amazing piece of GUI management software. I am

*still* impressed by the 6-sided cube with a (fully running) desktop on each face. <usual Linux sigh>I wonder what happened to it ?</uls>
Reply to
Jethro_uk

I dont. I very rarely need to have two things at full screen resolution in the go

It went the way of modern jazz - technically brilliant, but in the end, pointless willy waving.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Being able to switch from a local to an RDP session without any clicks was what sealed it for me.

My manager had 2 landscape and one portrait monitors. Didn't matter what you sent him, he could throw it onto a screen to read it quickly. And if it needed a huddle he'd just miracast it to the 54" touch screen TV he treated himself to. Obviously not something a penguinista would care for ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

My use case is having one Safari window open with tabs for ordinary stuff to look at, the other screen with another Safari window with development items such as docs or forums.

Or when actually running tests, having a VM with Win/Lin in it on one screen, the Xojo IDE doing remote debugging on the other.

I did suggest to SWMBO that she have a second screen but she turned it down.

Reply to
Tim Streater

When I used to work at customer sites, having a monitor alongside my laptop was very useful, keep email/web on the laptop and several RDP sessions on the monitor. Sizes went up as a useful remote window went from 1024x768 to 1400x900 to 1920x1080

The dock I have at home for my laptop doesn't really accommodate multiple monitors, so I went for a 27" 2560x1440 screen, thinking it would be plenty big enough, but it doesn't really help "separate out" windows by different tasks

Now with remote working I end up with one VPN'ed RDP session to a VM at a customer site, then nested RDP sessions within that to the various servers, or half a dozen spreadsheets open, and somehow manage to maximize windows when I know I shouldn't.

But I built my desk at home to accommodate the laptop with dock and a single monitor, facing into a corner to avoid working with glare on the screen, changing to dual monitors would be quite disruptive ... been trying to decide whether a 32" 3840x2160 screen would make things better or worse?

Decisions, decisions ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Having used multiple monitors, I wouldn't want to go back. Even just using one as a copy text to type into the other (useful when they've used pictures for text so copy and paste won't work).

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Wewll I have 8 screens

labelled

Mail Browser Multimedia Games Windows XP System Writing Coding

An they all fit into the corner of the room neatly on one 24" monitor

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That was my use case for having 2 physical screens. In addition on the larger one I have several virtual screens with particular applications (mail, Safari, Xojo, Usenet, ...) nailed to each one.

I installed Mate in the Linux VM and while it's easier to drop an executable on the panel than Cinnamon, in that a configurable launcher pops up, you do have to beware that the path in the Launcher may need editing to escape any spaces in the path. Something they overlooked, evidently.

Having done that, and with the item on the panel now working (i.e., click it and the associated app starts), I now find it wants to take up lots of space on the panel with the item name. How can I configure that away. I only need the icon.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Same here. SWMBO actually got two monitors before me (makes it easier for her to teach online).

I use mine mainly for two things. One is RDP into a Windows machine in the workshop[ (when I'm in the office). The other is when I'm doing development and need multiple documents for research (they are open as I type). One document open on hhe desk, on paper, and two more side by side on the second screen.

Reply to
Bob Eager

smpboot: CPU0: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz (fam: 06, model:

3c, stepping: 03)
Reply to
AJH

Never had an issue..

Dunno. I only have icons..

It's one of those things you stumble on in the menus, switch off, instantly like and forget how you did it...

I spent several days getting my desktop to be how I wanted it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher