Pre-Finished quarter round

I'm installing some quarter round molding, It is the pre-finished fabricated kind of material that you buy to match laminate flooring. My question is, since this molding will not be painted should the finish nails be countersunk with a nail set and the holes filled? Seems like they should but I'm not certain about filling nail holes on molding that won't be painted. What is the correct thing to do?

Thanks, Vic

Reply to
Vic

Glue?

You can countersink, I guess, and cover the hole with matching filler. Don't put the nail into the laminate.

I see you didn't take my original suggestion about removing the baseboards and putting the laminate underneath.

Reply to
HeyBub

I had already begun laying the flooring when you recommended removing the baseboards, I just hadn't worked my way up to the door jambs. Next job the baseboards will be removed. I would be curious to know what most installers do with regard to existing baseboards.

Reply to
Vic

Seems to me I picked up some finishing brads that were stained a brown color for some brown trim. The brads came in different colors. Tacked them flush with the trim.

Reply to
RLM

I either remove the baseboards and reinstall them later, or I apply quarter-round to hide the expansion gap. Which I do depends on what the client wants.

I prefer to do the quarter-round because it's faster. There's also an good possibility that the baseboard isn't big enough to cover the required expansion joint.

p.s. I always fill the holes, even on wood-grain quarter-round. I also caulk the gap between the baseboard and the quarter-round.

Your other responder is correct: nail the quarter-round to the baseboard, not to the flooring--you don't want it moving in and out with weather changes.

Reply to
SteveBell

We had baseboards undercut when we had tile installed. Not a DIY job here, but it was done just after a new paint job without dinging the paint. No quarter round.

Reply to
Norminn

Could you explain to me what tool they used to undercut existing baseboard? I can't imagine undercutting 60 plus linear feet of baseboard. Cutting that far up, usually there's not much meat left on the baseboard.

Just curious

Reply to
evodawg

Dont like removing existing baseboard unless customer is replacing it. It always seems to crack or break when you think your almost done. And I agree with you on the baseboard covering the gap.

I prefer this method tooo. And the caulking

Reply to
evodawg

Colored nails, deeply set. They will vanish more than puttied holes would. If this is above a floating floor, remember to make sure the nails only go sideways into the baseboard, not down into floor or into the expansion space. Same place that sells the flooring and trim should have the matching nails. If you accidentally make visible scars, they also usually have matching marker pens to color over the oopsies with.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

If you use a brad nail gun the brads will be deeply set and nearly invisible. Use a colored putty if that isn't good enough. No way i would ever go back to using a hammer and nail set these days, the nailer is so much better.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

I have an added question how to do this with grey quarter round attaching to cabinets all prefab? I would typically caulk the top and corners of my trim around my floors but that is not an option unless I find the exact same color. I'm worried about where the cuts meet and not filling over it. How can you seal it from getting dirt trapped or wear over time?

Reply to
Vac1208