Molding

How do I attach 1/4-round oak molding to drywall panels?

What kind of nails do I need and how long should they be?

Do I pre-drill holes in the molding?

(I don't own a nail-gun).

Reply to
gary

How do I attach 1/4-round oak molding to drywall panels?

What kind of nails do I need and how long should they be?

Do I pre-drill holes in the molding?

(I don't own a nail-gun).

Reply to
gcotterl

You'll likely have to have pilot holes.

You need nail long enough to go thru moulding and drywall thickness into the supporting stud by about 3/4" or so.

Or, for something that light you could (altho I don't really recommend it) use adhesive instead and not worry about where studs are much.

Reply to
dpb

I forgot to say that I don't have a nail-gun (and I wouldn't buy one plus a compressor for such a small project).

Reply to
gcotterl

I forgot to mention that I don't have a nail-gun (and I wouldn't buy a nail-gun -- or brad-nailer -- plus a compressor for such a small project).

Reply to
gcotterl

I forgot to mention that I don't own a nail-gun (and I wouldn't buy one -- or a brad-nailer -- plus a compressor for such a small project).

Reply to
gcotterl

I forgot to mention that I don't own a nail-gun (and I wouldn't buy one -- or a brad-nailer -- plus a compressor for such a small project).

-----------------------

didn't hear you, what did you say?

Reply to
The Henchman

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

If I need to pre-drill the oak molding, should the holes be smaller than, larger than, or the same diameter as the nails?

Reply to
gcotterl

Slightly smaller. Use a nail-set to set the heads under the surface. That said, buy a small compressor and a finish nailer. You'll smile a lot more than the molding.

Reply to
krw

You don't attach them to the dry wall panels.

You attach them to the studs behind the panels. Drywall has next to zero holding power.

Use finish nails long enough to go through the molding, drywall and at least a half inch into the stud.

Pre-drill if you can't drive the nail with a hammer. With oak, I think pre-drilling is a good idea.

Use a nail set to drive the finish nail down into the oak and then either caulk or wood fill.

Reply to
despen

Someone else said, the problem with adhesive is removal. If it's construction adhesive, the paper will come off the drywall.

If I had enough nailing to do, I'd use the opportunity to buy a nailer, I love new tools.

But I can do a decent job with simple tools when I have to.

Reply to
despen