Siding Nails in a Roofing nailer?

I need to shoot 1 3/4" siding nails. I have a coil roofing nailer that shoots up to 1 3/4" nails. Can I shoot siding nails (small head) in a roofing nailer (big heads)? Do I need to buy another nail gun?

Jay

Reply to
jayc

probably not probably

Reply to
kickstart

I guess the next question would be: Other than the obvious difference in magazine length, what is the difference between a coil roofing nailer and a coil siding nailer?

Jay

Reply to
jayc

One drives roofing nails, and the other drives commons. Lots of differences between the two different guns. You can take a coil of #6s and put them in the gun to see if they would work. But I doubt it. It may fire the first nail and jam.

For an engineered tool like a nail gun, even the slightest difference in the nails can cause problems. For instance, my trim gun will shoot many kinds of nails (brands), but will not shoot generic nails. It will jam every 5 nails or so, even though I cannot see a damn bit of difference between the nails.

Go rent a coil nailer.

Reply to
Robert Allison

Shooting nails not designed for the gun will answer two questions. Do you hate your tools and want to kill them? Do you hate yourself and have a wish to die?

Rent a gun. Or buy one and sell it on eBay when you're done - it's cheaper then renting.

RicodJour

What does the manual that came with your nail gun say?

Or the manufacturer's web site?

Steve.

Reply to
SteveF