Framing nailer

I need to buy a framing nailer. I see the cordless Paslode models can fire a lot of nails between having to replace energy cells and recharging the battery, so am tempted to go for one of those. It will only be used on my house, for example framing out my basement and other miscellaneous jobs that come along, so not heavy duty.

A question for the group - what are the best types of nails to go for - I see guns shoot a variety (paper collated or weld for example)? Any other advice on framing nailers gratefully received.

TIA

Moo

Reply to
Moo

For a weekend warrior it will make very little difference what gun you choose. If you need or want an air compressor for other needs including an air finish nailer, I think I would encourage you in that direction. Code compliance in some areas requires full round head nails for framing - many of the old systems used clipped heads. I would suggest making sure it uses nails that you can buy locally. The Harbor Freight stuff is adequate for your needs, but watch availability of nails.

Reply to
DanG

I'd go for a pneumatic. A compressor is a wonderful thing to have. My house was without one for 30 years or so- and within a month of when I got it I couldn't believe I ever lived without it. [far more valuable than the variety of nail guns I've bought for it since.]

Shooting round headed nails was important to me. I ended up with a Porter Cable 350 bought from Amazon. I watched ebay & craigslist for several months for a good deal on a used one- then caught a special on Amazon for about the used price.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

If the nailer is shooting round head nails (evidently required for framing in some jurisdiction and obviously required for roofing), it's got to use the roll-fed nails, paper-linked nails.

There's a big difference between a battery-operated nailer and a batter-operated drill: It takes a LOT of power to drive a nail.

Reply to
HeyBub

HeyBub wrote: ...

Not necessarily -- Bostitch, Senco, Hitachi and others make stick-feed FRH framing nailers.

OP was speaking of Paslode. Aren't battery-only-operated; they're gas cannister w/ electronic ignitor--the battery only supplies the spark.

--

Reply to
dpb

The name "Paslode" conjures up $$$ signs. I like the tools and have used them (non framer). Not really cost effective for an occasional job around the house.

YMMV.

Reply to
Oren

I have the cordless Paslode framing nailer. It is reliable and durable. The gas cylinders are pricey but go a long way. A fully charged battery lasts for a long time but I would suggest getting a spare. It never seem to fail that the battery goes dead at the most inopportune time. Nails are expensive. Thats something to compare between brands. The cordless units are big and bulky compared to the air powered nailer. It requires an extra grunt or two to get the thing into the proper firing position. Especially when you are standing on your head and every limb is extended two inches beyond their design limits.

It's a tossup as to which type is the most useful. Granted the cordless will get into places where it would be difficult to drag in an air hose, but on the other hand the air nailer will fit into smaller spaces and can drive a lot more nails in a given time. It also has a larger magazine. Just like the battery you will find that you run out of nails just when you have squeezed the thing into the most awkward place on the job.

If I had to make the decision again I probably would go with the air powered nailer. Having said that I still do not regret buying the cordless. Unless you are a pro its six of one, half a dozen of the other.

I've had mine for over five years, not sure of current prices but I wouldn't be surprised if you can get a compressor and a air nailer for less than the cost of a cordless unit.

LdB

Moo wrote:

Reply to
L D'Bonnie

Thanks LdB and other contributors. I already have a compressor and numerous other air-tools, so have decided to go for a pneumatic framer too, based on this excellent advice. I have many Bostitch tools (stapler, brad and finish nailers) and love them - will probably go for one of them again.

Cheers

Reply to
Moo

Can a framing nailer be used to toe-nail wall studs without overdriving the nails or splitting the studs?

KC

Reply to
KC

Can a framing nailer be used to toe-nail wall studs without overdriving the nails or splitting the studs?

KC

KC, yes framing nailers make wonderful toe-nailers especially if, like me, you aren't a good toe nailer. After a while you will figure out exactly where to hold your gun and at what angle to get a perfect toe nail. I've never split a stud with a nailer. However, it is very easy to split a stud with repeated blows of a hammer. \\

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary