HF Framing Nailer

I'm considering getting a Harbor Freight framing nailer. I usually buy higher-end stuff, but I need this just for the occasional project, and don't want to outlay $250-$350 for a Senco, Hitachi, etc.

My question has specifically to do with safety. Is there any reason to think the chance of injuryt would be greater with a HF nailer than a better quality one?

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

Only to your wallet - Buy PC, Senco or Hitachi then if you don't want it any more, sell it on eBay.

Dave

Reply to
Teamcasa

Look on the PC refurb tool web site - no need to pay new prices for a brand-name, quality tool. If there is a framing contractor's supply store available, see if they have some used framing nailers for sale. I got a moderately used Paslode F350S for $175. Use it all the time. Dave is right. Name-brand stuff will retain it's value much better than the generics that are produced for a much lower price point.

Reply to
IBM5081

Andrew,

We use HF nailers in our remodeling business on a regular basis. We have had only one gun fail and that was from a laborer putting the wrong size nails in it.

Craig

Reply to
cm

I've had an HF 4041 framing nailer for about 6 months or so. I used it on a large deck and screened porch and it did fine. I will probably not use it much but it comes in handy when I need it.

You can use Spotnails and other brand name nails or take some that come with the gun from HF to a nailgun dealer or Home Depot and they can match up the angle of the nail.

For occasional use mine has been great.

My only regret is not waiting for the lighter model to go on sale for $79 and buying it. Mine is a bit heavy at around 10 lbs.

Ron T

Reply to
Ron Truitt

Something else to consider for occasional use, a Palm Nailer. It is a bit slower but takes "any" sized nail, is cheaper, and uses bulk nails.

Reply to
Leon

hello,

I have one and have driven around 400 nails with it so far. No problems with it, works fine, $79 on sale + 20% off coupon... was a great deal.

cyrille

Reply to
cyrille de Brebisson

Is it really more convenient than a hammer (which again takes any sized nail, is cheaper, and uses bulk nails)?

Ken Muldrew

Leon is usually right but I've seen him recommend this approach before and have to disagree. I too have a palm nailer, its a real blessing when I need to drive a 16d into an area I can't swing a framing hammer. To me, I love the feeling of "slinging steens" and the hassle of a palm nailer to drive a bunch of easily reached nails is not worth it.

Dave

Teamcasa

Nope. Some of us are still waiting for the cheap nailer to fail and they hold up amazingly well. I've got two and have yet to break them even after moderately hard use.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

Ever toe nail anything, especially when it has to be dead on?

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Sure, lots of times. Toe-nailing with a hammer usually isn't much of a chore unless you're in confined quarters. The main advantage of a pneumatic framing nailer is speed. Does a palm nailer give you more speed over a hammer? Does it let you put nails in places where you can't swing a hammer? I've never used a palm nailer, so I guess I'd like to hear why one would consider it over a framing nailer (where it also has some advantages over a hammer).

Ken Muldrew

I guess I'm with Ken. Other than the obvious case of a confined space where a palm nailer is very handy, I can't imagine choosing one over a hammer where you have good access.

todd

Reply to
todd

Hmm. Maybe it depends on how strong you are; I'm on the small side. I always found, that a stud or other other piece would move around, sometimes moving into position, but most times off 1/8" or so. Speed is not the problem, accurate assembly is.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

For the home owner doing the occasional remodeling job, I think a palm nailer is more useful, and safer, than a framing nailer. I'm finishing off a portion of our basement for my wifes' stained glass shop and had looked at framing nailers during the planning stages. (every project deserves a new tool) I was quickly put off by their weight, bulkiness, and specialized nails. Even storage would have been a problem when the project was done. With a palm nailer, the compact size has let me place nails in places I could not possibly swing a hammer, and even in places I could not see. Since I use nails infrequently, my hammering skills are a bit dull, resulting more than a few bent nails. It is difficult to bend a nail with the palm nailer. I find it to be faster than a hammer, though certainly slower than a framing nailer. Most importantly, my palm nailer has a magnet that holds the nail, freeing up a hand to hold the material being joined, and guarantees no smashed fingers!

Reply to
Larry Kraus

Just got a coupon from HF for their 28 deg framing nailer. Regularly $190, on sale for $60. Anybody wants, I'll forward the email. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

I got all three of them and they all have their places. Just my nickels worth.

Reply to
Tim Taylor

Yes.

Yes.

(1) For less than $100.00, you can buy a top of the line palm nailer. No compromise. (2) It will drive any size standard nail. (3) It will get into places that a framing nailer (or hammer) can't.

Reply to
CW

I have a refurbished Porter Cable which I really like. The HF is almost identical except the surface finish is slightly rougher. I just got an email coupon saying the 94000 model will be on sale for $60 from June 2-4 in their stores.

Unlike circular saws, angle grinders and right angle drills (where expensive ones have electric brakes or safety clutches), I don' think an expensive nail gun is any safer than a cheap one. For nailers, safety all depends on you.

Reply to
AL

I'd say 4 to 5 times faster driving a nail. Almost as fast as you can push and you don't get tired. I drives them in the time it takes to take 1 swing with a hammer, all things being equal.

Reply to
Leon