Last nights BBC Tonight report on the Great Freeze of 1963

Wonderful B&W reports from all around the country about the Big Freeze of 1962/1963. On BBC 4 last night so presumably on the iPlayer.

No HS&E back then. Ice was removed from 132Kv lines by suspending a rope from a helicopter with a gang of men on the ground hanging onto the other end.

Hadn't seen a Renault Dauphine on the TV for ages either until I watched this.

andrew

Reply to
Andrew

The b&w footage inserted into this edition of "Winterwatch" seems to have been a 1963 edition of "Tonight", the early evening studio magazine programme.

I watched it this afternoon. A brilliant series of reports, though clearly a retrospective even when broadcast, possibly made in the spring of 1963 just as the Big Freeze was clearing. Everything was in the past tense.

And it was very interesting to be reminded of just how good Kenneth Allsop was.

JNugent

that wasn't a dauphine

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

what was it then ?.

Reply to
Andrew

I'm sure the back looked like this

Andrew

sorry saw one of these on tv last night....thought that was what you were talking about

Jim GM4DHJ ...

It was a rear-engined car with a round dumpy rear-end and a gear change like stirring a bucket of old nuts and washers

Reply to
Andrew

My Mk2 Zodiac was buried in snow for six weeks, but started first time after a battery charge. Yes it was a Renault Dauphine with wet liners. I had to change one for my dad, together with a piston after he dropped a

2BA brass nut in the plug hole.
Reply to
Smolley

Ah the Dauphine. While working in a petrol station as a sixth former in the 60's I just managed to stop a lady putting petrol into the rocker box.

Reply to
newshound

The Big Freeze episode of Tonight

was broadcast on 10 February 1963, so some time before the final thaw. I think Cliff Mitchelmore's final comments were that the freeze was nearly over, though he seemed to be hedging his bets in case the Siberian cold front made yet another re-appearance.

I don't remember it: I was tucked up nice and warm in my mum's tummy and born in mid-March. Mum has said that she was terrified of slipping on the ice and landing badly, which would not have done me much good.

The Big Freeze of 1963 is the setting for a thriller Paraffin Winter written and narrated (as a podcast) by Peter Chowney

There are references to a heater in cars being an optional extra on some models, and many people getting deliveries of paraffin for room heaters.

Reply to
NY

???

That looks like the side!

Reply to
JNugent

Boom boom boom boom! Esso Blue!

Reply to
JNugent

In 62/63 the local teenage social hub was a coffee bar about six miles away. It was fun riding a high-performance 500cc motorcycle through the snow to get there. The snow was so bad that those who had cars couldn't get to it, so for a short while it became a bikers hangout, with less competition for the young ladies who could walk there from the nearby mid-wars estate of private houses. So, not all bad news. :-)

Reply to
Spike

Did the need for paraffin die out with the increase in houses with central heating (of various fuels) and of electric/gas fires in living rooms? Was there any other significant uses of paraffin in homes?

Reply to
NY

NY expressed precisely :

Lighting, when there was no power or during a power loss.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

And the worse two winters in living history are?

Reply to
ARW

And cooking, on a Primus or two!

Reply to
Bob Eager

In 1947, my mother was quite jealous of the fact that I could sleep quite happily in my cot when there was ice on the inside of the windows.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Blowlamps, this being a DIY group. Much better at stripping paint than a heat gun.

Reply to
nightjar

I don't recall a heater in anything I rode in during the 1950s.

and many people

Deliveries? I used to be sent out with a one gallon can, to buy it at the ironmonger. Out of hours, I had to go to one further away, where there was a coin operated paraffin dispenser outside.

Reply to
nightjar