Rocker is Finished

It rocks well, balanced, comfortable, but the seat was too hard, so I made a cushion for it. I like it, may not give it to my brother, after all. Scroll right for 2 more pics.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Yeah, your brother doesn't deserve something as nice as that.

I'll send you my address.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I would keep it too, love the arm rests nice shape.

Reply to
Markem

Would contouring the seat have made a difference?

We rocked 4 babies to sleep in a big ole wooden rocker. The seat was contoured so nicely that no pad was needed.

Reply to
dave.marulli

Right, only nice folks deserve it. My brother hasn't invited me over to eat in over 3 weeks

+1

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Thank you. I always liked rockers (re my grandparents large front porch) a nd porch swings. I never liked straight lines, so much, so I practiced mak ing things with curves..... Like a good fetchin woman, the mo curves, the m o betta!

A previous rockers:

in/dateposted-public/
/ Armrests angled a little too much. Your cup of coffee or drink was unstabl e, so this latest rocker had less angled armrests. Also, previous rockers had a seat frame similar to a porch swing. In planning, I didn't think a seat frame was "fitting" for this cypress rocker.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Does your beer slide off the arm rests? Nice work though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The seat is contoured. Here's some of that work.

/
/

The seat stock is a full 2", maybe 2.25". Knowing I was to contour the sea t (make it thinner in some areas), I added dutchmen under neath for further support.

/

Younger folks, than we, likely doesn't sit in one position, so I sat in dif ferent positions. The seat is comfortable, but my butt bones felt the hard ness in a few positions. Being an upholsterer, I made a cushion in about 2 hours.

Nothing beats a comfortable rocker seat. Its nice rocking those babies!! It took me a few chairs to get all my curves correct so that it all looks a nd feels coordinated. In the end, I most often have to guess to make sure the weight distribution allows the end-result chair to be balanced, also.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

With previous chairs, yes, the beer was unstable. This chair's armrest has less of an angle, so no problem with the beer. Field tested for at least 3 days, now.

Thanks. Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Very Cool!!!! Got a clue as to how much that thing weighs?

Reply to
Leon

ade a cushion for it. I like it, may not give it to my brother, after all.

Thanks, Leon. Might weigh 50-7o lbs. I can lift it, but its awkward. I o nce made a big bulky swing (heavier than this rocker) out of a split hollow cypress log, so heavy it didn't swing well. This rocker rocks easily. I' ll get the bathroom scale and try to weigh it.

As to that swing, I put legs on it for stationary seating, sold for $200 at a garage sale.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

WOW! much lighter than I suspected. I was thinking >200 lbs. Good Job!.

Reply to
Leon

At the garage sale.

Sonny

First is wrong link. try this one

Sonny

made a cushion for it. I like it, may not give it to my brother, after al l.

I once made a big bulky swing (heavier than this rocker) out of a split ho llow cypress log, so heavy it didn't swing well. This rocker rocks easily. I'll get the bathroom scale and try to weigh it.

0 at a garage sale.

I was way off. It weighs 92 lbs according to my BR scale.

Reply to
Sonny

I made a cushion for it. I like it, may not give it to my brother, after all.

. I once made a big bulky swing (heavier than this rocker) out of a split hollow cypress log, so heavy it didn't swing well. This rocker rocks easil y. I'll get the bathroom scale and try to weigh it.

200 at a garage sale.

How did you weigh it? The "proper" method if you can't get it all one scale is to use multiple scales and add them up. You'd know if it was balanced side to side too. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I weighed it both ways you described. Placed one rocker on scale, read the result. Placed the other rocker on the scale and added that result to the first. The 2 half weights were about 1 lb difference. Then lifted one e nd of the chair, balancing the whole chair on the scale to compare to the a dded results.... same total weight. 92 lb weight included the cushion.

Its more important to balance the chair front to back, not side to side. I f you're sitting on one side of the chair, the whole is heavier on that sid e. It's not difficult to make each side an almost mirror image. Any diff erence in half-weight will most likely be nominal.

Been doing some rocking. No evidence of creep.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Thank You. Sonny