Opinions for Wheel Barrow Handles

Have two 5-6 cu ft wheel barrows, each with a broken handle. I don't have appropriate hickory, but do have several 5" X 5" X 10' rough cut ash.
Would ash be reasonably strong/durable for making handles? I'm suspecting so, since ash is used for baseball bats. It's been a long while since I've looked at the ash, but I suppose there is some straight grained stuff among the 5Xs.
Thanks. Sonny
On 4/17/2019 6:34 AM, Sonny wrote:

I was thinking the same about ash. It's very strong and durable but also known for it's bending qualities, which is why they use them for bats. I can't see going wrong with using it.
On 4/17/2019 8:26 AM, Meanie wrote:

For the subject purpose it'll work well...
For major leagues, maple has supplanted ash (I saw somewhere a few years ago that like 75% of MLB players were using it)...it's harder but still "light enough" that can make a bat that can swing and the harder surface results in higher exit velocity than ash...but I've also seen that recently birch is making inroads and has been tested in summer leagues...
Louisville Slugger isn't even the dominant manufacturer in ML's any more--Marucci is.
Is nothing sacred? :)

On Wednesday, April 17, 2019 at 6:34:44 AM UTC-4, Sonny wrote:

Just a suggestion...
When my wheel barrel sh*t the bed, I decided to try something a bit little more suited for us older folks. I love it as does SWMBO. I love it even more when SWMBO loves it instead of calling me to help.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
They come in all sorts of sizes and durabilties.
On Wednesday, April 17, 2019 at 4:24:14 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

One of the few I made for Mom. There was a whale model, also. https://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/4035599550/in/dateposted-public/
I gave a few to the Master Gardeners for their fund raisers, also. Sold like hot cakes.
Sonny

another suggestion - steel replacement handeles
https://www.lowes.com/pd/True-Temper-60-in-L-Steel-Wheelbarrow-Handle/1086223
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Truper-60-in-L-Steel-Wheelbarrow-Handle/4363209
https://mobileimages.lowes.com/product/converted/755625/755625031808.jpg
On 4/18/2019 9:59 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:

Not a good idea. Could not send my wife out to do the yard work in a thunderstorm with metal handles.
On Thursday, April 18, 2019 at 10:20:19 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yeah, and besides, I've met my quota, this month, for bought handles. Bought a shovel handle. yestiddy.
Sonny

Just put an all steel wheel on it the the oldy-timey ones had. That way it will be well grounded!

Sure you could. ;-)
On Thursday, April 18, 2019 at 8:47:59 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

And with a two-wheeled unit you don't have to balance the load as carefully when you haul her body out to the woods...errr...ummm...I mean...back to the house.
On Thu, 18 Apr 2019 13:59:47 +0000, Spalted Walt

I saw fiberglass replacement handles somewhere too -- Can't find an internet refference but I could swear I saw some at a show a number of years back
"Sonny" wrote in message

Just a thought...
Do you need two wheel barrows? Cannibalize one to fix the other?
I just cannibalized a wheel barrow with a broken pan to fix two... my brother's and my father's. Handles to one and the tire to the other.
On 4/17/2019 5:34 AM, Sonny wrote:

I'm thinking construction grade 2x4.

Good for a few loads but not worth the effort to install as they WILL end up breaking - and the splinters are no fun.
On 4/18/2019 9:13 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

Yeah, nix that idea LOL. I forgot that they would have to be cut in half.

Cremona sez yes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v
uSqjTcTbo
On Friday, April 19, 2019 at 8:59:27 AM UTC-5, Spalted Walt wrote:

Awe, come on, now. Defected video!!! He should have lined the barrow with a little blanket or maybe some sawdust and given his helper a little ride.
Sonny
On Friday, April 19, 2019 at 1:39:01 PM UTC-4, Sonny wrote:

Hate to harp on it, but it seems to me that if he is going to use a wheelbarrow to move those slabs around, he really should consider a two wheeled unit. Balance becomes a non-issue, which is the main reason that I like mine.