Tool Parts ID - State Auction Items

Among the jointer Lot were some extra pieces of equipment. Jeff at Northf ield couldn't ID one knob with a broken casting.
There is an assortment of similar items, the main one looks like a fence fo r a milling machine. The broken knob goes to this "fence". There was th is machine (lower pic) next to the jointer, looks like some sort of milling machine - https://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/46720690445/in/datep osted-public/
I suspect my extra parts are for this "milling(?)" machine. Can someone po ssibly ID these parts, ID them for the milling machine and/or ID this machi ne as a milling machine. Scroll right on the above link for 7 more (parts ) pics.
If I can verify that this "fence", etal, belongs to the "milling" machine, I'll contact the auction folks and try to get these parts to the rightful o wner.
Sonny
On 4/18/2019 8:28 AM, Sonny wrote:

I can't tell what manufacturer (gray could be old Rockwell and/or Delta but quite a number of others as well) but it is a mortiser and the "fence" is actually the table that has been broken off...so, "yes, it does go with the machine on the lower pallet" and the machine itself is little more than scrap iron without it so if the purchaser had any idea at all of using it, he undoubtedly would appreciate having same.
On 4/19/2019 9:24 AM, dpb wrote:

Check out <http://www.vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id145 for similar...it's Crescent; the old American/Rockwell that I was thinking of is of quite different main casting shape/style; this approximates what was there, at least.

On Monday, April 22, 2019 at 8:21:16 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

When this tool came up for bids, it was identified as a radial arm saw. I could see it was some sort of drilling machine and thought it was some sort of milling machine. I wonder if the buyer knew what it was. If he knew w hat the machine was, he should have known what the jointer's extra parts we re. He was one of the initial bidders of the jointer, had inspected it an d the extra parts, so he was obviously aware. I suspect some of the buyer s of some of these big tools resell them as scrap iron, since they purchase them for so little money.
I sent pics to the auction folks with note/explanation that the buyer of th e tool might want this fence, if he is to restore the "milling machine". They told me the guy is in Mississippi, they gave him my number and I sup pose he'll call. If he doesn't convince me he knows what the tool is and w ill restore it, then I won't go out of my way to give him the part(s). I can sell it as scrap just as well as he can.
On a jointer related note, I don't have 3PH service nor a converter. Some good time ago and on several occasions, I explored the cost of buying/fabri cating one. I don't know how to fabricate that kind of stuff.
Saturday, I spoke to a nephew as to whether he can get a converter at or be low cost. Since he's a big whig for a major construction company, I though t he may have connections for obtaining industrial equipment at some reduce d cost. He grabbed my paperwork and told me not worry about it.
Will see what happens next.
Sonny
On 4/22/2019 11:46 AM, Sonny wrote: ...

I'd guess that's the deal here, for sure, too...it's too far gone to restore, particularly w/o the table to even try to reattach. :)
You might make your own from the table -- if it weren't so heavy and costly, I'd consider offering for it as a replacement for the small mortiser--be really kewl to have a movable table instead of just clamps to the fixed...

On Monday, April 22, 2019 at 12:10:39 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote: -- if it weren't so heavy and

Are you saying you might like to have it? If the guy doesn't call within a few days, I'd mail it to you for shipping cost only. We could get a shipping estimate, in the meantime, if you're interested.
Sonny

On 4/22/2019 1:33 PM, Sonny wrote:

Well, it'd be a thought if it's at all functional as starting point...
How heavy/long is it? If it weren't truly exorbitant (seems like the brown trucks are quite expensive any more), why not??? :)
If it would have to come common carrier, it's probably not worth the hassle...
--dpb
On 4/23/2019 9:11 AM, dpb wrote:

The brown trucks u'sta have a 70lb limit.
On 4/23/2019 9:16 AM, Leon wrote:

I knew was something like that, plus a length/perimeter measurement limit...sure this would be short enough, not sure about weight.

On Tuesday, April 23, 2019 at 9:11:16 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

I checked the geared apparatus, it works fine, I think. The gears are dir ty, full of crud. I'll clean it and recheck the movement. I suspect it will work just fine.

It weighs at least 100 lbs, maybe/probably more. I have a rough time movin g it. I'll weigh it on the bathroom scale, later. The fence, itself, is 36" long, 7" wide and 29/32" thick. The whole unit, as seen in the pics, is 36" long, 14" wide; from floor to top of the fence is 9"; from floor to top of the crank/handle is 17", but this handle moves up and down with cra nking. Note the handle is broken and I don't have the pieces.
There is an additional crack/handle/knob - pics "misc tool 8" and "Misc too l 7". Scroll right for 6 more pics of the geared fence unit. There is a nother crank/handle/knob that has been broken from the top, the casting is broken, not the knob assembly. This broken knob is Misc Tool 3 in the pic s. Or click onto the "photostream" tab to see all the pics on page 1. https://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/47636324261/in/photostream

I don't know what State you are in. Are you within reasonable driving dis tance from Troutman NC? I'll be driving to Troutman around July 30th.
Once I weigh it, I'll check shipping fees.
Sonny
On Tuesday, April 23, 2019 at 2:53:11 PM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:

Correction: The broken handle/knob doesn't move up and down. It moves the geared assembly right <--- to ---> left.
Sonny
On 4/23/2019 3:03 PM, Sonny wrote:

Yeah, that's what you want -- move the workpiece L/R under the mortise chisel in a controlled line.
I figured it was probably at least that heavy given the penchant to use _lots_ of cast iron back when that puppy was built.
I'm in far SW KS so that's not a reasonable drive for me, no... :)
BUT, elder son is in Raleigh altho that's still a trek to Charlotte, not just a hop...and I'd hate to impose on him to make the trip for what might be just a whim in not being able to make anything useful out of it, anyways...from which direction will you approach/leave Troutman; is Raleigh the wrong direction for you?
I'm pretty sure I've known roughly where you are located before, but don't recall...
--dpb
I'm in Lafayette, La.
Nephew, Ryan - another woodworker, is in Raleigh. Sister (in Troutman) visits him often and he visits her. She or he, I'm sure, wouldn't mind carrying it to Raleigh.
We have a few months, so can explore all our options.
Sonny
The three pieces, 2 knobs and the main unit, weighs 130 lbs. With a shipping crate, the weight would be about 150 lbs. I call UPS - there weight limit is 150 lbs. Their fee would be right at $200 ground to ship to Elkhart, Ks area.
Sonny
On 4/23/2019 6:24 PM, Sonny wrote:

Well, you did look at _FAR_ SW KS, didn't you!!?? Altho you're only about 60 mi too far west -- we're just a few miles outside Liberal.
OK, on timing if you weren't heading out this weekend. :)
I dunno when son might next be planning trip this way...they'd go right past only a little ways off I40 to pick up on that trek. Of course, it's a right stout chunk to add to an already packed vehicle w/ what could be four occupants... :)
We were there last summer; no plans for anything yet this year...doesn't say couldn't make some, but it's almost time for cows to arrive for their summer pasture and I've done nothing had intended to get done over the winter...

On 4/18/2019 8:28 AM, Sonny wrote: ...
I know _what_ it is as per the other posting; were there any more of it to perhaps be able to do better job of identifying it? Altho that may be of no real benefit, just curiosity...