Tool ID

I'm trying to ID a tool, I haven't been able to verify what it's used for and was hoping someone here might know, it's number 243 on this site:

Thanks, Rob

Reply to
R.H.

I was thinking it could be a horse shoe nail trimmer thingy, but the very narrow slot says that the nails they drive through a horses hoof would be much thicker, so that can't right unless it is a small version for use on ponies

My second thought is of it being something to do with squeezing or crimping things, so could it be an early wire crimping tool? We may never find out.

Final thought here is of furniture upholstery and the likes. Could it be used to grip the edges of leather when it's pulled taught over the furniture framing? It's another guess that doesn't go any further. :-) LOL

When and if you do find out what it is, please don't go without telling us. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

On 1/15/2005 10:27 AM US(ET), BigWallop took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

This site is a regular feature over in rec.woodworking. You can go over there and read the others responses. Look for the message header "Another tool ID needed NNNN" where NNNN is a roman numeral, currently at XXVI. The site owner apparently already knows the answers, so it is just a game for others to play. BTW, no one has guessed what that tool is yet.

Reply to
willshak

I know what most of them are, but not all, I also don't know what #246 (antique with drawers) and #244 (the weight) are used for. I recently changed the title of my threads at rec.woodworking from "Another tool ID needed" to "What is it?", with roman numerals.

Reply to
R.H.

I did a search on ideal wire strippers but didn't see one like mine.

Reply to
R.H.

Subject: Re: Tool ID Newsgroup: alt.home.repair => R.H.

#239 is an ashtray for "ultra slims" right? ;-)

Reply to
G. Morgan

"R.H." wrote: ...

Can't tell for sure, but there are two possibilities that come to mind--

  1. Ground "hitching rail"
  2. Windmill weight

I don't really think it is a windmill weight, though, as they were typically more elaborate. I'm not sure about the hitching rail owing to the apparent(?) slot in the weight...what does that actually look like?

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I'm not familiar with either of the two possiblities that you mentioned, I'll have to do a little research on them. As for what the slot actually looks like, as you can see in the second photo of this one, it's really just a partial rim around the upper piece that has two breaks, so it looks like a slot when assembled. One possible reason for this is to put different sized washers over the screw to increase the weight, but that's just a guess.

Reply to
R.H.

Definitely. Have both of them around here somewhere.

Reply to
Bob Eager

The can opener is a P-38.

Reply to
R.H.

Somehow I don't think it is a weight. I am more inclined toward a hanger, with the ball end fitting over a flat bar with holes or slots in the center. Can't think of exactly what for. Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

That's why I asked about the slots...they would be quite unusual for a hitching weight, but many of them were made from whatever was at hand.

I'm still inclined to think it was/is a counter-weight for some piece of machinery...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

If you hung it from your Prince Albert, you wouldn't need to buy pills off the internet

Reply to
raden

I have a pair of those hooks from when I went riding (horses) every week. They fit into loops at the top of my riding boots, enabling me to pull them on easily. They're boot hooks. Mine are identical, grooves and all, to the one in the photo.

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister

Correct, it's a boot puller.