Northfield jointer nearby?

State Surplus Auction has, what looks like, a 16" Northfield jointer availa ble. A few issues are evident. Auction pic, page 139.

s%20April%202019.pdf

Comparative OWWM pic -

d=2527 As per this restoration, single phase replacement motors are available, if need be.

For a good while I've wanted a large jointer, but lately I've had second th oughts. I've had a few fairly serious medical issues, lately, so not sure I'll be as active a woodworker anymore. Still, I kinna have a mind to re scue this machine, if it sells for cheap. Maybe a nephew will help get it running, if bought.

I've chatted with other woodworkers at the auction, before. Nearly every a uction has an assortment of machines for sale. I'm sure they are aware of it being available. Someone will surely rescue it.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

lable. A few issues are evident.

res%20April%202019.pdf

thoughts. I've had a few fairly serious medical issues, lately, so not su re I'll be as active a woodworker anymore. Still, I kinna have a mind to rescue this machine, if it sells for cheap. Maybe a nephew will help get it running, if bought.

auction has an assortment of machines for sale. I'm sure they are aware of it being available. Someone will surely rescue it.

This isn't a question of where in my shop would I put that tool, it's more like where in that tool would I put my shop. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I think I found the picture for your jointer. But it seems to me the peopl e who buy and restore those machines are doing it for the nostalgia or for the "fun" of restoring it. Not to actually use it. I think anyone who nee ds or wants a wide jointer to make money just buys one and uses it to make money. When you add in the depreciation deduction against revenue you can actually make money buying and using one now in your business. If it takes five years to restore a jointer, you miss five years of profits that you a re not making with the restored jointer.

Reply to
russellseaton1

From the looks of the rest of that auction, you might want to be prepared to sanitize that puppy _real_ good. Looks like a hospital, clinic, or biology lab of some kind.

Reply to
J. Clarke

one and uses it to make money.

I wanted one for some of my large hobby projects. Now and then, it would b e convenient to joint wide boards, rather than have a pro shop do the job. Having the means, space and large cache of salvaged lumber, an accommodati ng large machine is a gift for oneself. I rarely sell any project or do on e for a fee. I've mostly keep and use them or do them for friends, relati ves or fund raiser type events.

For many my projects I've used the 8" for some aspect of the work, if a han d plane wasn't more convenient. I like using "old" hand tools/techniques, as often as I can, as well. A nice old large jointer has/had simply been o n my wish list, in tune with my "old tool" mind set and would, at times, be put to practical use, also.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

The items at the auction come from all State Govt offices/agencies, propert y, etc. There's always a wide variety of items. There's an auction every second Saturday of each month, always 100+ pages of listed items. Lots o f the same folks go to the sales.

As best I can determine, it takes a few months for the process of an item t o be tagged for surplus, then onward to the sale. By that time, any hospi tal bug would no longer be a threat. I'd suspect one would more likely to get a dangerous bug from the diverse crowd at the sale, rather than from an item.

The State provides a convenient pre-sale listing, so folks can look and pla n a day at the auction, if they see something they like. The booklet doesn 't give a detailed description of an item, hence the inspection days. The tools usually come up for bidding just before or right after "lunch-time", so you can go mid-morning and have plenty of time to do an inspection, rath er than on designated inspection days. *There is no pause or lunch break f or the auctioning.

LOL. There's been times when no one wants an item, no one bids on it. Wh at is done is, they add that item to the next item up for bids. That's th eir way of getting rid of all the items, whether anyone wants it or not. They go fast! The selling process goes on indoors, for inside items, and outdoors, for the outside items.... both at the same time. The selling is fast going, to have all thing sold by mid afternoon.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Ahhh the aircraft carrier class jointer.

Reply to
Leon

lable. A few issues are evident.

res%20April%202019.pdf

thoughts. I've had a few fairly serious medical issues, lately, so not su re I'll be as active a woodworker anymore. Still, I kinna have a mind to rescue this machine, if it sells for cheap. Maybe a nephew will help get it running, if bought.

auction has an assortment of machines for sale. I'm sure they are aware of it being available. Someone will surely rescue it.

We have one of these working everyday at Santa Fe Community College in the Fine Arts woodworking shop/classroom. It even has a helix cutter head. Grea t Machine

Reply to
wyzarddoc

I'm the proud owner of a Northfield 16HD aircraft carrier, $750 plus 15% bu yers premium.

After inspecting it, I thought it would sell for at least $1500 and maybe g o as high as $1800-2K for big-time woodworkers or collectors. I had plann ed on bidding $500 max, thinking several folks would run up the bidding. After my $350 bid, only I and one other remained bidding. He was hesitant each of his bids, so I thought he'd quit soon, which he did.

I'll go collect it Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

buyers premium.

go as high as $1800-2K for big-time woodworkers or collectors. I had pla nned on bidding $500 max, thinking several folks would run up the bidding. After my $350 bid, only I and one other remained bidding. He was hesita nt each of his bids, so I thought he'd quit soon, which he did.

What does "collect it" mean? In other words, how are you going to get that monster home and eventually to it's final resting place?

Do you need a COI to remove it from the premises? How much will that cost?

Just curious, that's all.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I didn't expect to win the bid, but I wanted to attend the sale. I wasn't prepared to bring it home, besides, I have 3 days to go get it.

As you, I was curious enough about the machine to call Northfield and ask a bout disassembling the tables, for easy of transport. The tech told me how to disassemble them. He told me how to properly strap, lift and haul the machine with the tables still attached. You don't want to lift it by stra pping the tables. He asked that I send him the serial number and he'd give me details of the machine.

The tag on the machine indicated it came from a military base, so I'm suppo sing the military was the original owner.

No ins required. They have forklifts to haul anything folks need heavy ha uling for and they load for you. I'm responsible for tying down my load. I spoke to a forklift driver about specific strapping and hauling and he sa id there's no problem accommodating me. Since I'm likely to need to disas semble some parts for cleaning and maybe some repair, I might as well disas semble the tables, there, making things easier to load and later unload. I'll copy OWWM parts list for when I disassemble it, just in case.

Curiosity is fun, too. Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

[...]

Are *they* insured for damage caused while lifting/loading? I assume it wouldn't be for the real value of the unit, maybe not even for the price you paid for it. Certainly wouldn't include the time you've expended so far .

Of course I'm not wishing for anything to happen, just curious (again) abou t how these auctions work. The IRS auction that you posted the other day said this:

"Anyone removing non-hand carriable lots must provide IRS with a certificat e of insurance (?COI?) before purchased items can be removed. "

The minimum coverage was $2,000,000. Curious as to what that would cost.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I doubt the State is specifically insured for the items at these types of s ales. There may be some insurance coverage if someone got hurt and no fau lt of their own. I assess the situation as walking into a government build ing, there's no special insurance required for visiting a government buildi ng. It's as if items are sold as is where is and there's no challenging a defect in the item or the handling of it. It's "understood", by me at lea st, that the folks are there to help and I think they do a very good job. I've never seen or heard of any incident at the State auction. Buyers ar e courteous, also.

As for as the items, the guys really go out of their way to be careful and are really helpful in every aspect of the sales. I view it as, when you ag ree to allow them to help (ask for their help), you, in essence, waive any fault that may occur.

IRS auctions (locations!!!!) are a different story. It's the companies pr operty that one visits, so the companies have to protect themselves.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Oh, and to further answer a previous question....

Unloading shouldn't be a problem, with forks on the tractor and an engine hoist for parts during repair, assembly.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

hoist for parts during repair, assembly.

You know you will have to put one of those helical cutter heads in this joi nter. Might as well do it while you are disassembling, cleaning, rehabilit ating the machine. Ka-ching!!!! Add another $1000+ to the cost. The Byrd site says the generic 12" jointer head is $920. But you have a 16" jointe r.

Reply to
russellseaton1

Sonny,

Save your money. Instead of a helical cutter head, just get one of these and cut it to size. Shop time will be so relaxing. ;-)

DerbyDad03

You suck!

Pictures please.

Reply to
krw

There's a pic from the State's auction website, page 139 on the first post's link, but here again. Don't know how long these pics will remain on the State's site.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Congratulations! : )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Considering that the list price of a 16" Northfield jointer is around $20,000, you officially suck very much.

Reply to
J. Clarke