Northfield jointer nearby?

Thanks. Always cautious using the single axle trailer. A flat can flip th e trailer. I drove much slower than the traffic.

Took about 2 hours to disassemble some parts, then loaded on the trailer in the hot 80° sun. Secured the 2x10 foot pads to the trailer, then dro ve out their gate under the Miss. R. bridge (in the shade) to strap down.

I'll probably leave it on trailer until after Easter.

2 Pics under bridge, scroll right.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

the trailer. I drove much slower than the traffic.

in the hot 80° sun. Secured the 2x10 foot pads to the trailer, then d rove out their gate under the Miss. R. bridge (in the shade) to strap down.

No pictures of you putting air in those tires? ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Did you get (maybe it was in earlier data but I don't recall it) a weight on the beast from Northfield?

Reply to
dpb

Didn't get that info from Jeff, but did via this chart on their website. 1825 lbs.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I thought it might be more than that, even...that's not too bad.

My first thought w/ the PM180 planer to put it back in the back of the barn where I wanted it was to use the little JD 955 utility tractor that will (just) go down the driveway and the 3pt bale mover...it couldn't pick it up. It's a little over 1600 lb and that hydraulic maxes out at about 1000 at the link I discovered...

Ended up renting a pallet mover because the barn is too low to get anything any bigger inside...hopefully your shop lets something inside.

Reply to
dpb

Probably won't go into the wood shop for a good while. Need to check everything out to get it in running shape. The barn has storage accommodations for the time being.

A few things/parts are broken, like a hand wheel, motor end cover, a spring loaded gadget on the side of a table. Dust chute needs some screws. I'll take pics and send to Northfield, get some prices and probably more advice.

The paint looks good, only dirty... dirt on the interior, also. Table tops look good, only surface rust on about half the surfaces. Seems the machine was under cover, not open to any weather.

I suspect the broken parts were broken recently, otherwise they would have been discarded long ago, maybe.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Be kewl to see...have you done search on the OWWM site to see if any others been posted for the particular model? I know there are ones out there, didn't check specifically for the pattern makers version.

Most of those things sound mostly cosmetic altho the broken handwheel is so obvious that while it still works it just isn't pleasing...

So, did you get any real surprises like there being a knife grinder attachment or the like? :)

Reply to
dpb

Oh, absolutely what I do _NOT_ want a ready supply of at hand... :)

Reply to
dpb

About the only thing I looked for and studied was the parts manual, for dis assembly yesterday. I might post pics, comments, etc. to OWWM, later. The parts pdf on OWWM has the right edge of the pages clipped off... can't rea d all of it. I'll likely order a manual from Northield - $30 + shipping.

You might notice the strapping (red ratchet and a rope) around the infeed t able (on the trailer). I had loosened something, can't recall, and that t able top moves a bit. I tied it steady for transport, will look into that looseness, later. I'm puzzled by that looseness. I did turn the raise/l ower wheel, to see how the table assembly moves (smoothly). I may have not snugged the locking knob.

It's not the grinder. There's another big piece of iron with gear teeth. Have no idea what this is, but has a similar yellow wheel/crank/round tuit . It looks like some kind of fence (about 30" long, attachment to table s imilar to the fence, heavy as heck). May not be for the jointer, though(?) . I'll take pics.

The outfeed table is hinged to its incline block, 3 screws per hinge. Remo ve the screws and the top comes off. There are locking knobs at each hinge site. Page 17 of this pdf, lower pic, item #9 is the locking knob. A scr ew is shown each side of the knob, the knob hides the center screw. This t op swings up and sideways, i.e., easy access for maintenance/cleaning on th e inside. There are locking knobs on the other side/edge, also.

Hinge pics and forklift driver, 3 pics, scroll right. Driver was very pat ient and accommodating with lifting, loading, as per my directions. I'll send a message to LPAA folks in appreciation of his efforts. The pic shows the jointer lifted, for my installing 2X10 "foot pads".

/

Just got feedback from Jeff (Northfield). I registered the jointer with No rthfield. He wants pics. Will take better pics with camera, rather than p hone. Jeff is prompt, eager to assist, +10. Probably by next week, or so, will have info about replacement parts, questions and other issues I want to send him.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

More info from Jeff, after receiving my pics. He wanted pics to verify (R egistration) this machine. He replied,

" ref: S/N 74498-B

It is definitely a patternmaker?s jointer, and it even has a spring joint attachment."

(Arms tossed in air) I don't know what the spring joint attachment is, but I got it. LOL.

A: 12-111 table Lock Knob DK -6 $12.00 B: Unable to identify Knob with broken casting.

*this (above) piece/part is probably for some other non-Northfield machine at the auction. C: Replace the JA-28 fork casting $116.00 D: Try welding the aluminum shield (cutter head guard). Sonny
Reply to
Sonny

It's an adjustable cam arrangement that drops the outfeed bed slightly so that the edge is slightly convex. The idea was to be able to apply more compression to ends of the glue joint that was supposed to let it (the joint) withstand faster moisture loss from the ends than the middle...unless one were working with material at pretty high moisture levels or very wide pieces, my personal opinion is it's more of a dream than reality in actual practice that it would make any demonstrable difference.

I recall once ages ago when I first heard of it trying to find any research supporting it on the US Forest Products Lab site and failing...

Let's see...gargle, gargle...oh! Northfield actually has a very nice datasheet--I shoulda' just looked first and posted a link instead of typing... :)

"It's only money..." :)

I am still envious, though...you scored well here, indeed.

Reply to
dpb

On 4/17/2019 6:25 PM, dpb wrote: ...

Well, would help if I would attach the link...

dpb

On 4/17/2019 10:57 AM, Sonny wrote: ...

That is puzzling...just the locking knob loose shouldn't let the table move noticeably at all--it needs to be snug enough to stay put when in use so unless the adjusting ways are not even close to snug, that shouldn't be the source. Then again, you say the table did raise/lower easily, mayhaps somebody did back way off at some point because it did get hard to move owing to regular maintenance/keeping lubricated and out of the damp.

However, I'd guess maybe you accidentally in "loosening something" loosened the locking mechanism for the draft tilt since it is on the infeed side -- I have never had access to a pattern makers jointer of any manufacturer, what more Northfield for the specific one so I'm not sure just how that is put together and locked into position.

Wouldn't be any fun without any mysteries, though... :)

--dpb

Reply to
dpb