For Sale: 36" Northfield Bandsaw

Not for most folks here, but some larger shop owners cruise through here occasionally. I am 30 miles west of Fort Worth, TX.

Here is my post on craigslist, and I am trying to get one up on Woodweb later today.

woodstuff

Not for most folks here, but some larger shop owners cruise through here occasionally. I am 30 miles west of Fort Worth, TX.

Here is my post on craigslist, and I am trying to get one up on Woodweb later today.

woodstuff

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Reply to
Michael Kenefick

Thanks, I will look there. I actually see this as a functional machine that could be used in a pattern shop or by someone making curved doors/drawer fronts or large arches. I got some really good use from it resawing. You can't push a piece of lumber fast enough that it won't cut it and maintain speed. But OWWM is a good idea.

woodstuff

Reply to
woodstuff

It can be yours :-)

woodstuff

Reply to
woodstuff

On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 14:53:46 -0700 (PDT), "SonomaProducts.com" wrote the following:

Reply to
Larry Jaques

But this man really *needs* this machine. The cheapest new Northfield this size is $15,300.

Back closer to reality, however, there are alot of industrial woodworking machines floating around at really low prices.

woodstuff

Reply to
woodstuff

Pity you are on the other side of the pond . I could put that to good use.

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

What of the reality of your wife running into Walmart to by a bib for some new rug rat. Not only has she helped put textile workers out of work, she has also put the people who build the textile machines out of work. Like dominos, when one falls another goes with it. Sooner or later one of those dominos will land on her head. If you have an Asian tool in your workshop you deserve a domino yourself.

Personally I'm sick of hearing people blame the government for problems caused by their own greed. That's what it's all about, isn't it. Jump up and yell all the patriotic slogans you can think of until you have to reach into your wallet. Then it's f*** the country and everyone in it. My money is more precious than anyting else. I'll by the cheapest product I can find.

Shame on anyone who buys Asian products then blames the government for the manufacturing exodus.

LdB

Reply to
LdB

If the American government was not $11,000,000,000,000.00 + in debt perhaps the American businesses could afford to build a product that is compeditive. But it appears that the answer from out government is to tax the hell out of every thing until everything grinds to a hault..

Reply to
Leon

The taxes are simply not where they need to be. Check out how many industrialized nations don't have a VAT for imports. If there was a US VAT on imports it would help level the playing field.

I've posted this before, just not sure if it was on this group:

's from Revere Copper, of Paul Revere fame.

This is also interesting:

the demarkation line above and below the US - with few exceptions the countries with a lower tax revenue wouldn't be the countries people would want to hold up as a model country. There are some exceptions, but those exceptions have exceptions that skew the numbers (such as petro-dollar countries).

RicodJour

woodworking

china,

I choose not to engage you on this or any topic outside of woodworking.

Reply to
woodstuff

And I applaud you sir. It's a nice little thread about a testosterone charged woodworking machine; let's keep it that way.

Reply to
Steve Turner

The taxes are simply not where they need to be. Check out how many industrialized nations don't have a VAT for imports. If there was a US VAT on imports it would help level the playing field.

Have you ever looked at import taxes on automobiles?

Reply to
Leon

That's a slippery slope and protectionism was a key factor in deepening the '30s depression.

OTOH, there are and have been a number of negotiated trade agreements (the ones of which I am specifically aware are ag-related being a farmer; I'm sure there are probably others in other areas as well) which have been waiting for ratification for 2-3 years being held hostage by certain congress-critters w/ particular axes to grind. Meanwhile, in all those areas the Canadians, Australians, EU members have done effectively shutting US exports out or at least damaging their relative position in those markets greatly.

It's a complicated web but there's certainly a lack of coordinated effort to ensure best possible playing field for US goods abroad in general.

Another sticky wicket about to happen is the suspension of the onerous requirements on Cuba that will expire Sept 30 w/, it appears, minimal chances of getting an extension thru before Oct 1 owing to preoccupation w/ other things or picayune arguments by a few again... :(

--

Reply to
dpb

The economy and imports are not, ahem, driven by Detroit alone. Congress...that's another matter.

I'm agreeing with your initial assessment, but tweaking it. It isn't a case of taxing the hell out of everything, it's a case of not taxing the right thing and taxing the wrong things.

In any event, it's a nice bandsaw, but a bit small for the bandsaw jewelry boxes I make. ;)

RicodJour

Times have changed. Unless a business makes enough money to stay liquid they won't stay in business for long. The US is not liquid and won't be until some things are addressed - China owning US debt is a biggie. If the US had a VAT that would help correct a lot of the imbalance in imports, debt, off-shoring manufacturing, etc.

This is the single biggest problem the country faces. When a country, and government, can be held hostage by a single asshole and there's no retribution or recourse. I consider that treason and the punishment should be the standard.

Check out some import data from 2008:

US has a notably smaller import value as a percentage of GDP than almost any other country. The world is just as dependent on US exports as we are on imports. A VAT would affect China most, and would help address the debt/trade imbalance.

Of course it would have to start slow and be phased to give time to adapt, and it won't be easy, but I don't see how it is avoidable if we want to stay in business. Then again, metric was written into law and we ignored that to our detriment, so who knows what will happen.

Maybe I misunderstand you - you believe the restrictions should be renewed?

RicodJour

Applause! Some wood working intent!

And I applaud you sir. It's a nice little thread about a testosterone charged woodworking machine; let's keep it that way.

Reply to
Josepi

The economy and imports are not, ahem, driven by Detroit alone. Congress...that's another matter.

I'm agreeing with your initial assessment, but tweaking it. It isn't a case of taxing the hell out of everything, it's a case of not taxing the right thing and taxing the wrong things.

In any event, it's a nice bandsaw, but a bit small for the bandsaw jewelry boxes I make. ;)

Where I was going, if the government could control its spending the burden would be less on all of us. Most the Detroit auto makers would have fallen, like they recently did, many years ato had the enormous import tax not been in effect on foreign cars. The import taxd did not help the auto industry it just patched one of many bleeders. IIRC the import tax on our 1990 Acura Integra was in the neighborhood of $6K on a car the stickered for $14K.

I suspect the Northfield would NOT fit in your shop. I bet is is over 8' tall and weighs 2700 lbx. ;~)

Reply to
Leon