Goodwill tool score

    Not always the greatest of deals (witness my Gloat on a Craftsman Circular Saw which is missing the no longer made "flange" to hold the blade in place.), but this one is working out. Five speed bench top drill press, made by the Taiwanese Machine Tool and Noodle works. Seems solid, runs, drills holes. $24.99 less a senior discount.     Now to find the space to put it...
tschus pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich
"I made it to 2018 and all I got from the SciFi Books of my youth was the lousy dystopian culture"
On Thursday, April 4, 2019 at 2:19:51 PM UTC-5, pyotr filipivich wrote:

Harbor Freight has a similar drill press for $65. So I don't think you got quite as great a deal as you might think. And they probably offer the same drill press for $50 or $40 every other week in their sale flyer.
https://www.harborfreight.com/8-in-5-speed-bench-drill-press-62520.html
On Friday, April 5, 2019 at 2:43:38 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I doubt HF ever discounts that machine down to $40, so let's go with your $50 price.
pyotr paid 50% of that number. Aside from not getting a warranty, how is 50% off of an already 22% discounted price not a "good deal"?
Obviously, if the unit is a POS, then no price is a good deal - not even free - but if it works for his needs, $25 is worth a gloat.
(PDT) typed in rec.woodworking the following:

    And then deduct 20% for Senior Wednesday (then add back 10% for sales tax).

    And there it is. If I could afford the cash and space, I'd have a Cincinnati 8 x 20 Radial Drill _and_ the CNC version!
--
pyotr filipivich
On Friday, April 5, 2019 at 8:38:49 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

the lousy dystopian culture"

got quite as great a deal as you might think. And they probably offer the same drill press for $50 or $40 every other week in their sale flyer.

"$25 is worth a gloat" Apparently you and me live in different worlds, or at least countries. May be in North Korea, or Somali, or Ethiopia, $25 is a fortune and worth a glo at. In the USA where I live, $25 is about ten gallons of gas. Or a meal f or a family of four at McDonalds. Or a meal for two at Applebees. If any of my stock investments change price by ONE PENNY, its at least $25 up or d own. I don't gloat or even pay attention to such immaterial changes.

Have you been to McDonalds lately? Any one meal now costs over USD 10.00.
On Friday, April 5, 2019 at 3:48:02 PM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:

en

May> >be in North Korea, or Somali, or Ethiopia, $25 is a fortune and worth a glo> >at. In the USA where I live, $25 is about ten gallons of gas. Or a mea l f> >or a family of four at McDonalds.

0.
When I go to McDonalds I always get two or three McChicken sandwiches and a soda. All are $1 each. So $3-4 plus tax. But I am pretty sure I have se en combo meals advertised at McD and Burker King for $5.99. Sandwich of so me kind, fries, drink and maybe even a cookie too. 4 x 5.99 = about $24 plus tax and it should be a little over $25. I'm sure the combo meals with Big Mac or Whopper are more than $5.99. But they offer cheaper combo meal s.

A filet-o-fish meal (sandwich, fries, drink, not supersized) costs $10.50 as per my neighbor who was shocked that a $10 bill didn't cover it (I personally prefer an order of Pad Thai Gee or House Chow Fun myself if I have to eat fast food; although generally I patronize the Fish Market).
On Friday, April 5, 2019 at 4:14:53 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

e:

e:

the

as the lousy dystopian culture"

ou got quite as great a deal as you might think. And they probably offer t he same drill press for $50 or $40 every other week in their sale flyer.

ml

ur

aybe in North Korea, or Somali, or Ethiopia, $25 is a fortune and worth a g loat. In the USA where I live, $25 is about ten gallons of gas. Or a meal for a family of four at McDonalds. Or a meal for two at Applebees. If an y of my stock investments change price by ONE PENNY, its at least $25 up or down. I don't gloat or even pay attention to such immaterial changes.
WTF? You are aware that context matters, don't you?
If you saw a $65 (or even a $50) item and you could buy it for $25, what would do?
Would you give the seller the full price 'cuz $25 don't mean jack or would you pay the $25 and feel good about getting a deal? Might you even tell someone about it?
On Friday, April 5, 2019 at 6:25:04 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

HEY HEY HEY!!!!!!!!! Yesterday I bought a gallon of milk (the name brand m ilk!) at my grocery store for $1.98!!!!!!!!!! Whole lot less than the norm al $3.19 regular price. Not quite the same percentage sale as the drill pr ess. But I'm bragging about it.
Now most folks would not brag about this great sale that I got. But most f olks would not bother bragging about buying a used cheap Chinese drill pres s at less than the normal brand new retail price for a cheap Chinese drill press. It ain't worth a brag.
On Friday, April 5, 2019 at 9:13:31 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

uld

milk!) at my grocery store for $1.98!!!!!!!!!! Whole lot less than the no rmal $3.19 regular price. Not quite the same percentage sale as the drill press. But I'm bragging about it.

folks would not bother bragging about buying a used cheap Chinese drill pr ess at less than the normal brand new retail price for a cheap Chinese dril l press. It ain't worth a brag.
Not to you, but obviously to some, including pyotr.
Good for you, pyotr. Nice score. (russell's probably just jealous. Shhhh.. . I think he's listening.)
2019 18:13:28 -0700 (PDT) typed in rec.woodworking the following:

    Good for you.
    You've recognized that you have just save some money. True, $1.21 isn't a lot, but it adds up.

    Like I said: glad to see that you always buy top of the line, brand new, at manufacturers suggested retail price. Someone has to pay retail so the stores can stay open.
--
pyotr filipivich
(PDT) typed in rec.woodworking the following:

    Apparenlty he pays MSRP, and eats out all the time. Cause apparently, he's got money to spare.
--
pyotr filipivich
On Thu, 18 Apr 2019 17:09:22 -0700, pyotr filipivich

There is a big difference between finding a good price or eating out and bragging about how you saved what amounts to little more than pocket change. The point is the gloat, not saving the small amount of money.
snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com on Thu, 18 Apr 2019 20:46:43 -0400 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

    Yep.
    And one guys "big savings" is another's pocket change.

--
pyotr filipivich
On Fri, 19 Apr 2019 16:37:52 -0700, pyotr filipivich

In the grand scheme of things, yep, this is. I'll take it if I don't have to go out of my way to get it but it's not going to change my day, much less life. ...and, yes, we go out to restaurants for meals, too.
snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com on Sat, 20 Apr 2019 09:41:29 -0400 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

    Some times ... it is easier to stop while we're out, than to wait.
--
pyotr filipivich
On Sat, 20 Apr 2019 08:58:42 -0700, pyotr filipivich

When you find yourself at the bottom of a hole, stop digging.
snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com on Sat, 20 Apr 2019 22:36:36 -0400 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

    I was bored.
    Still am.
--
pyotr filipivich
2019 13:14:50 -0700 (PDT) typed in rec.woodworking the following:

    I'm so glad to hear that you have an unlimited budget, and can plunk down MSRP for everything which takes your fancy. Sheeesh, eating out at Applebees, just like the rich folk.
    But as for me: a drill press for less than $50 is a good deal.
--
pyotr filipivich