Goodwill tool score

Not always the greatest of deals (witness my Gloat on a Craftsman Circular Saw which is missing the no longer made "flange" to hold the blade in place.), but this one is working out. Five speed bench top drill press, made by the Taiwanese Machine Tool and Noodle works. Seems solid, runs, drills holes. $24.99 less a senior discount. Now to find the space to put it...

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Harbor Freight has a similar drill press for $65. So I don't think you got quite as great a deal as you might think. And they probably offer the same drill press for $50 or $40 every other week in their sale flyer.

russellseaton1

I doubt HF ever discounts that machine down to $40, so let's go with your $50 price.

pyotr paid 50% of that number. Aside from not getting a warranty, how is

50% off of an already 22% discounted price not a "good deal"?

Obviously, if the unit is a POS, then no price is a good deal - not even free - but if it works for his needs, $25 is worth a gloat.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

And then deduct 20% for Senior Wednesday (then add back 10% for sales tax).

And there it is. If I could afford the cash and space, I'd have a Cincinnati 8 x 20 Radial Drill _and_ the CNC version!

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

" snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com" on Thu, 4 Apr

2019 23:43:35 -0700 (PDT) typed >> Not always the greatest of deals (witness my Gloat on a Craftsman

Maybe so, but I have this one, I have it now. And I have it for less than a trip to HF.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

I tried my new Princess Auto drill-to-socket adaptor yesterday when changing my car wheels over to summer ...

My lowest expectations were realized within the first minute .. they will be going into the garbage.

How about the Walmart .ca product - Vermont American made in the USA

$ 35. for one ? seriously ?

John T.

Reply to
hubops

"Sold & shipped by Unbeatablesale."

Just like amazon, walmart allows external vendors (Unbeatablesale) who look for suckers, just like people flogging HF stuff on ebay.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

the lousy dystopian culture"

got quite as great a deal as you might think. And they probably offer the same drill press for $50 or $40 every other week in their sale flyer.

"$25 is worth a gloat" Apparently you and me live in different worlds, or at least countries. May be in North Korea, or Somali, or Ethiopia, $25 is a fortune and worth a glo at. In the USA where I live, $25 is about ten gallons of gas. Or a meal f or a family of four at McDonalds. Or a meal for two at Applebees. If any of my stock investments change price by ONE PENNY, its at least $25 up or d own. I don't gloat or even pay attention to such immaterial changes.

Reply to
russellseaton1

Have you been to McDonalds lately? Any one meal now costs over USD 10.00.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

e:

as the lousy dystopian culture"

ou got quite as great a deal as you might think. And they probably offer t he same drill press for $50 or $40 every other week in their sale flyer.

aybe in North Korea, or Somali, or Ethiopia, $25 is a fortune and worth a g loat. In the USA where I live, $25 is about ten gallons of gas. Or a meal for a family of four at McDonalds. Or a meal for two at Applebees. If an y of my stock investments change price by ONE PENNY, its at least $25 up or down. I don't gloat or even pay attention to such immaterial changes.

WTF? You are aware that context matters, don't you?

If you saw a $65 (or even a $50) item and you could buy it for $25, what would do?

Would you give the seller the full price 'cuz $25 don't mean jack or would you pay the $25 and feel good about getting a deal? Might you even tell someone about it?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

" snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com" on Fri, 5 Apr

2019 13:14:50 -0700 (PDT) typed >> >> > > Not always the greatest of deals (witness my Gloat on a Craftsman

I'm so glad to hear that you have an unlimited budget, and can plunk down MSRP for everything which takes your fancy. Sheeesh, eating out at Applebees, just like the rich folk.

But as for me: a drill press for less than $50 is a good deal.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Anyone who expects the 1/4" hex drive "impact" to remove wheel nuts is a "maroon" There is a REASON the "impact guns" used at a garage are

1/2 inch drive!!!!!
Reply to
Clare Snyder

When I go to McDonalds I always get two or three McChicken sandwiches and a soda. All are $1 each. So $3-4 plus tax. But I am pretty sure I have se en combo meals advertised at McD and Burker King for $5.99. Sandwich of so me kind, fries, drink and maybe even a cookie too. 4 x 5.99 = about $24 plus tax and it should be a little over $25. I'm sure the combo meals with Big Mac or Whopper are more than $5.99. But they offer cheaper combo meal s.

Reply to
russellseaton1

Not everybody on this list has a quarter million dollars in any of several stock investments. So I guess you are right when yousay you and the rest of us must live in different worlds. For a great may americans saving $25 is a worthy achievement.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

HEY HEY HEY!!!!!!!!! Yesterday I bought a gallon of milk (the name brand m ilk!) at my grocery store for $1.98!!!!!!!!!! Whole lot less than the norm al $3.19 regular price. Not quite the same percentage sale as the drill pr ess. But I'm bragging about it.

Now most folks would not brag about this great sale that I got. But most f olks would not bother bragging about buying a used cheap Chinese drill pres s at less than the normal brand new retail price for a cheap Chinese drill press. It ain't worth a brag.

Reply to
russellseaton1

milk!) at my grocery store for $1.98!!!!!!!!!! Whole lot less than the no rmal $3.19 regular price. Not quite the same percentage sale as the drill press. But I'm bragging about it.

folks would not bother bragging about buying a used cheap Chinese drill pr ess at less than the normal brand new retail price for a cheap Chinese dril l press. It ain't worth a brag.

Not to you, but obviously to some, including pyotr.

Good for you, pyotr. Nice score. (russell's probably just jealous. Shhhh.. . I think he's listening.)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Crack the wheel nuts loose with the big long torque wrench - then spin them off quickly with the drill-driver. Spin them on quickly with the drill driver set to "loose-ish" - then torque them tight. lickety-split. ... not sure where your vivid imagination was off to ? :-) John T.

Reply to
hubops

I'm just trying to figure out what this has to do with pyotr's $25 drill press. ;-)

P.S. Crack the wheel nuts loose with a big long *breaker bar*, not a torque wrench. Why subject a relatively expensive (compared to a breaker bar) precision instrument to the extra stress?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

... not much to do with the Thrift Store drill press - just a comment on the " quality " of junk tools. I'll take my chances with the 78 ft-lbs of strain on the torque wrench .. :-) John T.

Reply to
hubops

90 on my van. I see no reason to use a torque wrench when the $11 breaker bar is only about 2 feet away. Besides, the BB is longer, so it takes less work.
Reply to
DerbyDad03