Question of removing glue and maybe a couple of mini-gloats

The materials I'm working with: I was given (mini-gloat) the pieces from some built-in bookcases, made of 1x12 stock (and stained so dark I don't know what kind of wood it is). I got this after it was removed, so I have assorted pieces of the original installation. The end pieces have rabbets for the shelves and countersunk holes for the screws that hold them in place.

The reasons for using them: SWMBO wants a bookcase at the bottom of the basement stairs and the 6 foot shelves and side pieces would fit in the niche with "wiggle room" to get it back against the wall - plus the stain goes with the dark trim in this 1970's house (you should have seen the original orange countertop!). I'm more than willing to put this together, since she was excited (mini-gloat) about me getting a limited wood shop set up this year: new table saw (OK, contractor's saw, Hitachi C10RA3), a refurb Ryobi router, used Craftsman bench drill press. I already had a power miter saw, circular saw, jig/saber saw, reciprocating saw, corded and cordless drills, and couple of boxes of hand tools from 30+ years of home maintenance/updates (helping a friend demo a kitchen, building a window seat, enclosing carport to make family room, etc). I did research the tools (including on this forum - as of today, I'm up to December of 2005 ;-) and the purchases were based on my intended uses, what's in my budget, and somewhat influenced by the Lowe's gift cards our daughters and their husbands gave me for Christmas ;-)

My problem: The original bookcase was more than 6 feet wide, with the shelves made of multiple 6 foot pieces dowelled and glued together with a support at each joint and halfway between the joints (based on my examination of some of the boards).

What's the best way to clean up the ends of the shelf boards? Some still have 1 or 2 dowels protruding from them; all of them have a bead of glue on the end.

I had two ideas:

1 - crosscut each shelf, taking off a kerf width or so 2 - set up a jig for the router and use a straight cutter 1" long to trim away the glue

From answers I've seen to other questions on this forum, I'm confident that someone knows a better/easier/faster way.

Thanks, John

PS: SWMBO talked with younger daughter today and mentioned the new tools - younger daughter now wants a headboard for a king size bed...

Reply to
John