Couple of questions on applying / removing silicone

Any good tips on applying silicone properly?

I was doing the gap round the bath and ran masking tape round the tiles and round the bath in order to create a nice sharp line. But the actual silicone itself ended up drying kind of lumpy. I ran my wet finger over it after I had applied it and it looked really smooth but didn't dry out that way. I know screwfix sell a tool to smooth it, but would that make much difference?

Also what is the best stuff for removing silicone? I bought Silicone eater or something similar from B&Q and left it overnight. It hardly took any of it away. Ideally I would like to remove it all and reapply it again. Thanks

Steven.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

As you did, using masking tape, & tooling off the silicone.

The question is, was it really silicone? Also, was there a big difference in thickness of the applied jollop anywhere? Was it really thick?

Don't think so.

Careful physical removal with a sharp blade first, then "silicone eater". Petrol on a rag also clinkles it up if the silicone is in a thin layer.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Are you talking about lighter fuel, or petrol that we use in a car?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Reply to