Couple of plumbing related question

Hi All,

Firstly, I want to replace a couple of radiators. I look in Screfix and see them 500 or 600 mm in length. Where is that length actually measured from? Where the pipes join or the size of the actual panels?

Secondly, This is a shot in the dark but........................

I have a nice big loft but cutting it in half is a water tank. Someone once said I could change my boiler to a combi boiler and get rid of this tank (Thus opening up the loft..........

Is that true and how much we talking for such a thing (I know there will be variable costs with moving pipes etc but just an estimate.

Many Thanks

Paul

Reply to
Paul A Brown

Since the point where the valve screws into the radiator is typicall flush with the side, the length of either is the same. Note that the radiator valves do not come with the radiator - perhaps that is what you are thinking about.

True...

Combis can be had for 500 or so and up, a decent condensing one with good hot water flow rate would be 800+

If you have it installed than you can expect to pay that much again or more if you are having the cold water tank (cistern) and hot water cylinder taken out and all the replumbing done as well. (unless you DIY that is ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Nows theres a thought, Might be a lot easier

Thanks

Reply to
Paul A Brown

Or just move it to one side. Rather cheaper. If a large loft, raise it into the apex. Perhaps change to two or more smaller ones to make most use of the space. Still miles cheaper than a combi, and none of the problems.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Realistically about £1800+ for the job to be done professionally. However this rather jumps the gun on whether a combi should be fitted or not.

All things being equal there are a number of fairly simple & much cheaper things you can do move the tank out of the way.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Hmmm, I think I will go for the moving of the tank in the loft. Now comes the difficult bit. Find a plumber who wants to do the job for the right money (Sorry for being cynical)

Cheers for your help

Paul

Reply to
Paul A Brown

*Plumber?!* - This is a DIY group!
Reply to
Set Square

Some peoples diy extends only to the planning stage... That's a pile better than no diy at all which leaves the open to being abused.

Reply to
Ed Sirett