Question re loft water tank, plumbing

In modern construction maybe...

...and more sanitary.

Reply to
Jim K..

When did modern start? OP never mentions age of property...

I piss in the bog myself ;-)

Reply to
Jim K..

I am refurbishing the bathroom but getting a plumber to disconnect water , I will then tile walls & floor remove sanitry ware and replace. plumber has said that the only thing the loft water tank is feeding is the cold water for the bathroom sink as I have a combi boiler (mains feed) So, he is going to bypass the loft water tank and make it obsolete. Does this sound the correct thing to do?

Reply to
ss

It is normal for mains to feed a wash basin.

The removal of the tank and its supply can only make your system more reliable.

Reply to
Fredxx

During my 50-odd years, it has been typical of all the 1930's housing around here for all the cold taps in the house to be mains fed, so not really a modern thing.

Yes. I have always been used to being able to fill a glass with water in the bathroom in the night.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

yes, it will make it safe to brush your teeth with it. Finding dead creatures in loft tanks is not too unusual.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

In a couple of 1920s/30s houses I have occupied the only mains water was at the kitchen sink, everything else came from a header tank in the loft or airing cupboard.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Combi boilers are more efficient in energy use than the traditional system of stored hot water. There are no other benefits. They are more expensive to install and maintain and less reliable. They preclude solar hot water generation as storage is needed. If you have an existing traditional system, probably best retained and maintained in the longer term.

In a few years combi-boilers will be illegal and obsolete, new legislation/technology is in the pipeline. I expect existing installations won't be affected except maybe in respect of spare parts availability.

Reply to
harry

Only in the ones (illegally) with no cover.

Reply to
harry

All solar systems require some form of storage. They can also preheat the cold water feed into the boiler.

That will depend on when the fuel mix for electricity generation will create less CO2 than the direct burning of gas for the same heat output. It's not going to happen for a long time.

Reply to
Fredxx

Seems to vary area by area. No need for the cold to the bath and toilet to come from the mains. And depending on water pressure, you might get a faster filling bath if fed from a header tank and storage system.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

hope you don't have lead puipes......

Reply to
Only ever had ONE class A Callsign ...

However I've just had to turn the water off and its very handy to still have the toilet flush refill and a basin to wash my hands.

Plus, see other thread, my tap washers on the low pressure feeds are fine.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Also useful if your water is cut off even temporarily. That cold water boiled is safe to use for anything.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Never thought of putting a cover on it to keep your cats out?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Our 1948 council house was like that.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

If the header tank is an old galvanised type then I would take the opportunity to get rid of a potential future leak hazard.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Is a pressure reducing valve a good idea on direct mains water to sinks, does it mean less drips from taps?

Some visitors dont tighten mine far enough

George

Reply to
George Miles

Not quite true. That float valve in the tank might one day decide to to drive you mad with water hammer, which will almost certainly not be fixed until you change the mains supply flow rate (if you can actually move the stopcock...).

Definitely true if the boiler is showing its age. It will eventually fail at the start of a holiday weekend when you won't be able to get it fixed. Only those with an immersion heater in the tank will be able to get some nice hot water for a shower or bath.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

no, animals show up in covered tanks too

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr