Where to get washers for old taps

1960's build and probably the original basin and bath pillar taps.

The 1/2" basin tap has a flat washer of 13/16" (20mm) dia.

The 3/4" bath tap has a flat washer of 1 3/16" (29mm) dia.

Been to two plumbing merchants, one very much old school, and nothing near.

Both taps were dripping or have to be tightened such that they can't be loosened by normal mortals and I guess that is because they struggle after the house was converted from a hot water tank in the loft to mains pressure on the combi. The cold taps are still from a header tank.

I've temporarily got around the problem by: a) Turning the basin washer around

So as per subject, I can't be the only person in the UK with these old taps, where do I get suitable new washers?

b) Gently filing the bath washer flat

Reply to
AnthonyL

Have they swollen with over tightening?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Amazon or ebay - the right one will be there somewhere

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Just cut down bathtap washers. It's quicker than ordering online.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Wot 'e said.

Or, if inclined to buy tools: a "gasket punch"*. A hole punch set, but with a centering pin to allow sunsequent concentric cuts, i.e. outer edge, then inner hole.

Then cut your own...

Thomas Prufer

  • in ebay-speak: Hollow Punch Set Hole Punch Tool Leather Plastic Foam gasket Fibre
Reply to
Thomas Prufer

I'd wondered that but the rubber is quite hard so I can't imagine more than a mm or two at most.

Reply to
AnthonyL

All the ones I've seen have large middle holes, mine is about 1/4".

Reply to
AnthonyL

If I cut down a bathtap washer it won't seal the bath tap.

Reply to
AnthonyL

I got an assortment box from IIRC Screwfix. Should see me out. ;-)

But have you looked in the sheds? They might be more likely to have older spares than a plumber's merchant. Or an old hardware shop, if you can find one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

keep lookimg ther are kits with those in

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A trick for from old-car-restorers: rubber softens if soaked in fabric softener. I tried this and it worked surprisingly well, though soaking takes days and weeks. The rubber also smells "pleasantly fresh", for a very long time.

So maybe a scentless softener? Or some sort of silicone oil similar to the in the softener, maybe? I think silicones are the active ingredient in this case -- does someone know?

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

You'll probably find that the seating that the washer screws down on has grooves caused by years of grit in the water, so you might have to grind them down, in such a way to get rid of the grooves without widening the radial area of contact if possible.

Reply to
Dave W

If you find you're replacing tap washers more frequently then it's well worth investing in a re-seating tool - a nice fresh face on the valve seat makes taps work better and last longer between servicing.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Nothing here?

Richard