Where to get bulldozer yellow paint

Who sells the dark yellow metal paint used on Cats and other digging equipment? (My trailer is the same color and needs a few touch-up after welding on brackets.)

Reply to
dean

I think they call it Caterpillar yellow. I'm sure PPG make it

Reply to
RBM

Well, if it is really Cat yellow, the local Cat dealer has the real thing in either spray/touch up cans or bulk for spraying. Good automotive parts places will, too, of course.

If you're satisfied w/ what may/may not be a real good match for touchup cans, any farm/equipment supply should have it in the various "name" brands of spray -- Rustoleum and others of that ilk. Van Sickle makes a whole line of equipment paints which is what the local farm supply carries although for JD green/yellow I go to JD as it's not much more expensive and matches precisely...

Reply to
dpb

'Chromium Yellow', aka 'school bus yellow' will be pretty close. IIRC, there were some vague anti-rust properties to the paint, one of the reasons Cat and the bus operators picked it. Brand awareness in the market, and standardization to promote traffic safety, were happy side effects.

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Go to a real paint store. Very often they will have access to color formulations not shown on the charts. My local Benjamin Moore dealer (Paint & Paper, Emerson, NJ) seems to be able to duplicate most everything.

Reply to
Bonnett Decorating

For automotive paints, body shop suppliers and automotive stores are far better choices than the traditional "flat work" paint vendors. While some like PPG make both, others only formulate one or the other and few regular paint stores deal with automotive paints. Not that they can't duplicate the coulor, but it's readily available from the right channels and formulated for the purpose whereas house paint isn't...

Reply to
dpb

Just about any bog box store or paint store should have these:

Rust-Oleum Specialty Farm Equipment Spray Can COLOR:7449502 - Caterpillar Yellow

Rust-Oleum Specialty Farm Equipment Gallon/Quart COLOR7449502 - Caterpillar Yellow

Abe

Go to WalMart with a chip or swatch of the color. They will match it EXACTLY ! ( I've been pleased every time )

Reply to
Anonymous

Using the same color has bad side effects too. A kid in my neighborhood got on what he thought was a school bus, but it turned out to be front loader and now he has been front loaded.

Reply to
mm

Caterpillar paint it is! Thanks all, I have ordered a couple of spray cans.

Cheers

Dean

Reply to
dean

Hopefully it matches. I don't know when the change came but the current Caterpillar Yellow is not the same now as it was back when. To my eyes it has a 'muddy' tinge to it. Also I there may be a difference from Caterpillar Yellow and Construction Yellow. Case, John Deere and others all put out heavy construction equipment painted yellow. I never did hear why, maybe for visibility.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

JD yellow is much brighter and more vivid than the duller cat yellow. Goes well with the green, but a large digger that color would look odd.

Reply to
dean

JD construction yellow isn't the same as the familiar farm equipment yellow w/ green. Don't know that it is quite the same as "Cat" yellow, but certainly closer to it.

I suspect but don't have anything except assumption/observation that enough states had requirements for yellow or at least high-visibility colors for their construction/mowing equipment that manufacturers simply began using the yellow for it to make it conform to a common requirement w/o special treatment...

Reply to
dpb

My hubby is a heavy equipment mechanic, he used to get his at NAPA. It's called CAT yellow.

You may also check with your local Caterpillar dealer.....

Remember, the old paint will have faded and oxidized, it will likely not be a perfect match.

Kate O|||||||O

Reply to
Kate

You wouldn't be getting a house paint. You'd be getting an OB maintenance coating, suitable for machinery painting. I didn't think I'd have to be that specific but apparently that is required here.

Reply to
Bonnett Decorating

The moniker guided the response but still would tend to go to an automotive supplier rather than the "traditional" paint store. But, larger markets than I'm used to probably have better choices for them that would have such in stock. Don't think there's a chance it would be available at the paint stores here...

Reply to
dpb