How to Paint Metal Baseboard Heaters?

My 70 y/o house has metal electric baseboard heaters.
A "How to Paint" article in This Old House magazine states
paint the metal baseboard heaters with the same paint that's used
on the baseboards. My buddy says that wont work,
it'll peel. "Should use Rustoleum paint."
Any recommendations for painting metal baseboard heater covers?
Thanks,
Mike
Reply to
Mike
I have no problems with regular latex trim paint. It's been on them for over 3 years and no peeling yet.
Reply to
willshak
If your buddy is correct, he may be the new host on TOH or at least on Ask TOH.
Either one will work. You are not painting metal, you are painting paint.
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski
Good point, however I sanded through the paint at some places where the metal is bent 90 degrees.
Mike
Reply to
Mike
Latex will probably still work OK. In my house, I've used spray paint. IMO, it depends on what you want as a final result. Glossy white like the original? Color to match the wall or trim?
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski
I sanded lightly to give a 'tooth' to the baked on enamel, because someone said to do that. After the light sanding, I just used the trim paint with no primer. I may have to wait a few more years to see whether I should've used a primer.
Reply to
willshak
Unfortunately, I sanded through in some areas, so I guess I'll need to prime at least those places.
Mike
Reply to
Mike
Ideally, I'd like to use the same color/paint as the wood trim. Which spray paint did you use?
Mike
Reply to
Mike
I sanded with 80 grit paper. Sanded through at corners and surface itrregularities. Spray them with Rustoleum colors I liked and they look fine six years later.
Reply to
TRN

Site Timeline Threads