Question re loft water tank, plumbing

Not necessarily when its only brought to the boil and used immediately.

Reply to
2987pl

Basically yes, but depends on whether you are happy with your combi. If you think you might want to change to a system boiler with a hot water tank, or putting in solar heating for DHW you will need a (small) loft header tank. A lot also depends on the age and structure of the house and the age of the plumbing. Keeping a cold feed into the loft is something else to go wrong, but might save disruption if you need one later.

Reply to
newshound

None left connected in the house (a few old disconnected ones under the floor). The feed to the house is still lead, but only from the pavement to a foot or so into the house and a) one flush of the toilet will clear that out and b) the water is dosed with orthophosphates, which reduce the disolving of lead to below the required limits.

I know for sure that they do "b)" here, as I designed some of the control panels for it.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Only until the water supply is interupted by maintenance (you or the water co) or another utility putting a JCB bucket through the pipes. Then you have the problem of the muddy water getting into your system when it comes back on. I've managed to arrange things so that after the rising main stop c*ck all but one tap can be isolated from the rising main.

Until fairly recently *all* our water went through loft tanks, no special precautions. Never a problem with jippy tum and that includes the period after we moved in and before I cleaned the tanks out of various dead insects and mouse and fitted proper covers.

Of course with all our water going through the tanks (150 gallons) it wasn't hanging around for long and fresh mains chlorinated water was constantly replenishing them. I shall maintain some stored water here, maybe only 50 gallons but will ensure that tank feeds things that are use a reasonable volume of water most of the time, like a commonly used loo or two.

The cryptosporidium parasite needs 10 mins fast boil to be sure. Have had to do that for two or three weeks when it was found in a borehole supplying our water down in St Albans. ISTR that the water co sent cheques for £10 or £20 to pay for the extra energy used.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'm sure in your country it's better to stick with bottled water for everything.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You never could bullshit your way out of a wet paper bag.

Reply to
2987pl

Oh yes it is.

harry

On large water systems on large sites PRVs are often fitted to reduce pressure to the absolute minimum. This reduces losses from any (underground)leaks and also reduces usage.

Reply to
harry

That doesn't mean its going to happen, like Teresa May's promises that a bad deal is worse than no deal and we're leaving on the 29th March.

Have we left yet? I think Transco might have a say too.

Reply to
Fredxx

We've had an upstairs bathroom fitted, and the old (only) downstairs bathroom converted into a shower.

I made sure the upstairs cold is straight off the (softened) mains, so we can clean our teeth. (I wouldn't drink much of it).

The downstairs, OTOH, is all fed from the tank. So we can flush the toilet, wash hands, and not confuse the shower's TRV with vastly different pressures even when the mains water is off.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris