Ne Project

I'm trying to get back into some woodworking. Since the great flood in August of 2019 my potential customers have been replacing damaged furniture with insurance money and I don't build to discounted values.
Anyway I'm adding a printer cabinet for our office and going a different route this time.
I'm going with preprimed pine boards from HD and glued up yellow pine panel blanks for shelves from the same.
I have cut up all of the preprimed boards and must say that I'm impressed with the quality of the product. 1x8x8' boards were just under $17 each and 2 will do it.
I will be painting the majority of it with Antique White GF Milk Paint and the shelves will be stained some shade of brown.
This is my interpretation/design of a piece that I saw in a craft store.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/46813026674/in/dateposted/
A better link, I think.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/46813026674/
On Thursday, April 4, 2019 at 12:24:46 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

You must be one heck of an amateur meteorologist to predict a flood, and the rain causing it, 4 months in advance for Houston.

5.33 board feet. $3.19 per board foot. I'm not up to date on wood pricing. Is that a good price for pine? I assume its Firsts and Seconds grade.

Aren't most of those preprimed pine boards made from fingerjointed narrower stock like most paint-grade pine moulding?
On Thursday, April 4, 2019 at 2:27:33 PM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wrote:

If so, you need to be careful where you cut/rip it. Depending on how well it was glued, you might run into issues if you cut too close to a joint. BTDT
On 4/4/2019 6:45 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

No, this is well manufactured. The wood under the primer looks great.
On Thursday, April 4, 2019 at 7:54:04 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

My wood (poplar) looked good too, although it was easier to tell since it wasn't primed. ;-)
My issue was the result of ripping it to close to one of the glue joints and then routing a groove for a panel. When I inserted the panel it split along the glue joint for about 10".
I put glue in the split and applied pressure with some homemade "clamps":
https://i.imgur.com/6X3Q1Fw.jpg?1
On 4/4/2019 7:59 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Bad quality product. The joints are so tight on the product that I am using you have to look for the joints/splices.

On 4/4/2019 1:27 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Exactly. These boards are 1x8, so .75" x 7.25". I wanted ready to work. FWIW I so far only see 3 pieces glued together to make up the width. But again, I am going to paint this, it being preprimed and sold this way meant that I would probably get a higher quality board. I will certainly buy it again for future painted projects.

Oj jeez, It is not hard to predict flooding in Houston. But I hope I'm wrong. LOL. Should have been the August 2017 Harvey flood event when we got 50" of rain in 3 days.

Not dirt cheap but less expensive than the other grades of unprimed pine. This, as I suspected, has been glued up and has finger joints. BUT it is primed and ready for paint. I have not noticed any areas that may have been knots. I have done a lot of milling for lap joints and domino's and it looks great.
And this product is S4S so it is sold by the linear foot. So still a touch more expensive but clear pine was more than double and unprimed. Even the pine with missing knots was more expensive.