Goodwill tool score

Yes, Pyotr, it's charged. It's lithium ion, it takes a very long time for it to discharge itself. In any case the car has a 110v outlet.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I generally have occasion to use it multiple times a year for various things. After each use I swap the battery out for the one that has been sitting on the charger.

Reply to
J. Clarke

A car is a horrible place to store batteries, though. That said, Li batteries aren't as bad as others. If you keep a flashlight in the car, it should have LiFeS2 batteries (e.g. Energizer Ultimate Lithium) in it, rather than Alkaline. They should be used in any decent tools, as well.

Reply to
krw

J. Clarke on Sat, 06 Apr 2019 21:47:30

-0400 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

So you keep your impact wrench in your car? Along with a fast charger? And it takes up less space than the lug wrench? Good for you. No, seriously, if it works for you, and you can afford to have one in your car and one in the hop, go for it.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com on Sat, 06 Apr 2019 23:09:17 -0400 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

And eventually, even the finest batteries, will lose their charge. Even the Startrek Phaser batteries lose charge, even when not being used. It might take an extremely long time, but still, part of the drill before holstering it, is to check the level of the charge.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Don't need the charger in the car, just sayin'. And yes, it takes up less space than the cross-bar lug wrench.

Why would I need two? If I need it in the shop, I go get it out of the car.

Reply to
J. Clarke

LiFeS2 batteries are not rechargeable so why would anybody use them in tools? As for flashlights, the one I keep in the car also has a lithium ion battery.

Reply to
J. Clarke

J. Clarke on Sun, 07 Apr 2019 11:49:27

-0400 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

And you never have to concern yourself with said battery might not being charged when you need it? Cool. Although I admit, with LEDs and rare earth batteries, even when the batteries are weak, there is still _some_ light. Not much, perhaps, but ..

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

A folding crassbar wrench takes less space, but what a gawdawfull tool it is to use!!!!

Reply to
Clare Snyder

A couple of times a year I charge it as part of normal car maintenance. I also have a flashlight on on my keyring that gives 100 lumens for about 2 hours. And there's an emergency starting battery about the size of a brick and half as thick that has a light on it.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Laser levels are tools, as are DVMs and all sorts of other toys we all use. Even flashlights are tools. The advantage of LiFeS2 batteries is that they're the same 1.5V/cell as Alkaline and come in the same sizes so they're completely interchangeable with Alkalines. More expensive but they're interchangeable. They don't leak, either.

Reply to
krw

I use them in my camera, keyboard and mouse. Have not tried it but saw a set of lithuim batteries burn and causing the other batteries to also burn. Those I believe were rechargables though, but I believe most reputable manufacturers have a burn in test to eliminate bad ones.

Guess I could crimp one and wait and see up wind.

Reply to
Markem

They're also very good in smoke detectors. They have an advertised shelf life of 10-20 years (10, I can believe).

Li-Ion rechargeables will support combustion (exothermic), and can be dangerous. LiFeS2 and LiFePO4 cells will not support combustion, so are far safer. As noted LiFeS2 are primary cells, where LiFePO4 are rechargeable (similar to but not compatible with Li-Ion).

LiFeS2 is a very good chemistry. Try it and report back!

Reply to
krw

I use Energizer Lithium AA, know that the smoke is toxic so I will wait for the youtube.

Reply to
Markem

On 4/4/2019 12:21 PM, pyotr filipivich wrote: > > Not always the greatest of deals (witness my Gloat on a Craftsman > Circular Saw which is missing the no longer made "flange" to hold the > blade in place.), but this one is working out. Five speed bench top > drill press, made by the Taiwanese Machine Tool and Noodle works. > Seems solid, runs, drills holes. $24.99 less a senior discount. > Now to find the space to put it... > > > tschus > pyotr >

Nice. I am always on the lookout for good deals small drill presses. I have 4 drill presses now and a mill drill. Eventually I'd like to have

6 of the little 10 speeds on a round table in my shop for some repetitive operations I do drilling pinning drilling and tapping. Unfortunately the 5 speeds typically do not have a Morse taper quill so my scores are further in between.

Still, if you need a drill press and don't have one that's a good deal.

Regarding your "flange". Is that a blade spacer with a wide flat that sits up against the blade? If you have a lathe you can easily make one. Aluminum will work fine. It does not have to be made of steel. I have made blade adapters for my big radial arm saw (which I rarely use (LOL)) so I can use different blades on it. All are made of aluminum. If they fit nicely and are clamped down firmly they should outlast me. If its the diamond key drive its can be made on a mill with a rotary table or with some creative clamping, but if I recall they diamond piece is usually part of the saw output shaft. Hmm... I'm going to have to go look now.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Bob La Londe on Mon, 8 Apr 2019 11:53:34 -0700 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

That was my thinking. It might not be top of the line, but it works and I now have one.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Bob La Londe on Mon, 8 Apr 2019 11:53:34 -0700 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

I may have access to one.

OTOH, with a drill press, I can "mill" one.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

The car is powered by a much bigger lithium ion battery so I think that fear of the flashlight is misplaced.

Reply to
J. Clarke

From left field a tangent emerges.

Lithium battery fires happen quite a bit, a low percentage per unit but not a good thing when it is yours.

But I have two Ego yard tools and batteries so I must be a risk taker.

Reply to
Markem

That pretty optimistic for any drill press much less a low price one, but if you can then more power to you.

Reply to
Bob La Londe