Wheel Barrow Handles

Some time ago I mentioned having broken wheel barrow handles on two barrows. Finally got around to making new handles, coated with (thinned w/turpentine) BLO. Should be dry enough in a week or two to install.

I'll cannibalize one handle from one barrow and install on the other. The two new handles will be installed on the better barrow.

Not much else going on here.... except for Mardi Gras festivities in full swing.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Forgot the pic:

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I've used BLO and it dries fast? Straight Linseed oil, not so much. Boiled dries fast I think.

Reply to
Jack

That's my understanding. I thinned it so it would penetrate, somewhat. The wood is ash. Rain predicted for all this week, so the handles will hang until clear weather.

Also on hold: Cut a 4X4X4 block in half for carving a wood nut, for the work table vise. The halves are soaking in mineral oil.... for a week.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Steve Knight soaked his plane blocks in oil, but not sure what oil, but I think motor oil.

Reply to
Markem

A tip from Steve at the end of this page 2 of 2

is to place the block in sawdust to leach out excess oil. Off hand, I wouldn't have thought to use sawdust this way. This article doesn't state what kind of oil.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

uldn't have thought to use sawdust this way. This article doesn't state w hat kind of oil.

More info, copied & pasted from another article. Identifies the oil only a s "special".

Knight Toolworks planes feature 1/4? tool steel irons hardened to R C 62 a for a long-lasting cutting edge. They are soaked in special oil so t hat they will remain stable without movement (like most planes do in changi ng weather).

Maybe the mineral oil soaked wooden nut may be a bit more stable in changin g weather conditions. Sounds logical, I suppose.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Soaking up oil is a common use for sawdust. Kitty litter works well too. ...as cheap as possible (clay, not fancy "crystals").

Reply to
krw

Tons of different oils out there but imo it's silly to use oils designed to lube metal parts as a finish.

As far as "special" finish, go to any store that sells finish products and you will find a lot of products designed "specially" for you. Trying to out design those that do it for a living and often for many decades, and you won't likely break any new ground...

Reply to
Jack

Update: I had cut a blank in half for carving threads into the nut. It's been a week and the blank is now in saw dust. I'll start carving tomorrow. I have 2 other blanks and one is soaking in mineral oil, for the machinis t to work on. I have a third blank waiting in the wings.

Lately, I've been cleaning and rearranging the wood shop.... getting rid of lots on metal stuff that's been around for years...., clearing shelves of unused stuff that been saved for some odd, unforseen "project", but the pro ject has never presented itself, yet. A trip to the metal salvage yard is planned for tomorrow.

Seems spring has arrived. Amaryllis are budding, plum and satsuma trees a res in full bloom, lawn needs mowing again, mocking birds are singing their mating songs. I weeded, some, in the flower gardens today.... temps in th e high 60s, in the mid 70s tomorrow with rain. Also, I've been doing some repairs to trim on the house and shop.... it's been warm enough for priming and painting those repairs. Power washing the shop and house is coming so on.

With football season over, I've had more time for these other tasks, though I've been keeping up with the (NHL) Bruins. Once the rain ends I'll till the garden. My (lawn's) crop of four leaf clovers are about ready to pluck ... to give to friends, relatives and other folks, via greeting cards. Wil l collect them before mowing.

Hope to have pics of the nut thread carving soon. Not sure what "glue" wil l be used on the 2 halves, having been soaked with mineral oil, to mate the m.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

[...]

Some info on gluing oily woods can be found at the link below. One of the c omments mentions G-flex.

DerbyDad03