Removing Snapper Steering Wheel??

When I was almost finished mowing, I started getting a lot of play in the steering wheel of my Snapper mower. It's the Hi-Vac, at least 5 -

10 years old, rear engine model.

I'm guessing there is a bushing that has gone bad where the steering wheel attaches to the rod going down to the front wheels. However, I can't figure out how to remove the steering wheel. It looks like there is a small, metal rod going through the base of the steering wheel that attaches it to the rod that goes to the front wheels.

I banged on the rod with a metal punch and it didn't seem to move. Any clues on how to take the steering wheel off?

TIA,

Ryan

Reply to
herlihyboy

Not sure of removal, but look at the ends of the pin. Is one end larger in diameter than the other? If so, it is a tapered dowel pin, and is driven out from the small side. If the pin is hollow and has a split in one side, it is a roll pin, and is driven out from either side. Spiralled pin, same method. If it is solid and the same size on each end, it is a straight pin, and driven out from either side, unless end(s) have been peened over. Filing off peen required then. You will need someone to hold a sledgehammer head tightly against the steering wheel hub or shaft right under the hub to support it while you use a pin punch of the proper size to drive the pin. (not a centerpunch) Otherwise, recoil and vibration will absorb your work energy. Use penetrant on pin beforehand. I train our industrial mechanics/machinists, and lack of support and/or control of the item being addressed is the major cause of failure to accomplish the task, barring inexperience and lack of proper research and investigation beforehand. You're already on the right track by asking in this group since you're having trouble with it. Maybe someone familiar with Snappers will know precisely how it is removed.

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

replying to herlihyboy, Quairky wrote: No

Reply to
Quairky